Old 12-20-2012   #1
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
SE Asia boating?

So I've skeezed myself 6 weeks of school in Phnom Penh, Cambodia next summer, through July 1 or so. Trying to figure out a way to paddle while I'm over there, does anyone know anything about the paddling scene in Cambodia/Thailand/Vietnam/SE Asia in general between May and August? Any beta appreciated.

xavierengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #2
You should see if your school offers an option on the Front Range. Now that you've done all this world travel and extreme kayaking I think you're ready for Clear Creek at high water. Maybe you could convince Mr. Luck to show you the lines.

PS-I am envious of SE Asia.

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #3
I ran the mai taeng in north thailand. Like the upper yough or bailey at reasonable levels.

Outside of chaing mai...... Towards burma.

Stay up at the put in for cheap. Trek Boat. Eat.

WhiteWater Rafting Chiang Mai Thailand, Whitewater Kayaking Chiang Mai Thailand - Siam River Adventures in Chiang Mai, Thailand
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #4
Ashland, Oregon
Northern Thailand

Probably boated the same area or river? My wife and I found out about a company while in Pai and we told them we were guides i the US. They gave us one kayak guide to follow and let us use a two-person sit-on-top plastic kayak. They shuttled our gear from Pai to Mae Hong Song (sp?). They offered for us to stay in a nature village or something like that but we chose to do the whole route in a day. Class II/III.....vague answer but maybe you will be up there...
Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #5
Atlantis, .
Doublet... I think you recommend high water clear creek a little casually. Mr. Luck and Xavier are good paddlers but that's some pretty full on shit. Not everyone is ready for the Colorado front range.
As for Cambodia, it seems like there hasn't been much extensive exploration. My advice is to get on google earth and find some unprobed brown stouts. Don't forget your go-pro. It'll be church as fuck!

P.S. I didn't think that Xavier even paddled any more.
The_Jackal_Of_Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd talk to Rick Tao Franken owner of Bomber Gear. He lives there half the year during his production runs for his company. I'm sure he knows a lot about northern Thailand, Changmai Area. MK

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #7

The place to go is KHONE PHAPHENG in Laos. Dozens and dozens of Waterfalls and big burly rapids all in one chill little spot that is incredibly cheap. You can rent a little boat to take you around to all the islands. They call the place 10,000 islands and between many of the islands are big cascades.

craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote