Old 08-10-2014   #11
Coumbus, Montana
Paddling Since: 1989
The Boat People:

Thanks you just explained the problem. I was not told to screw the TiteSet clockwise into the oar to remove the blade and joint. Everyone I talked to including Sawyer showed me a disassemble TiteSet and unscrewed the plug counter-clockwise. My problem is that I was trying to get the screw to pass through the shaft and, clearly now, that is not how the TiteSet works. Sawyer really needs to put interaction for us newbies (to composite oars) on their website. I will tell the sales rep at Sawyer how the TiteSet works, because he did not seem to know, or it is so obvious, he did not think about it. I am heading out the garage to see if I can rescue my oars.

Skinwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #12
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sorry I was not able to explain this in a way that made sense to you but that was my point. Just remember Righty Lucy Lefty is mighty tighty. Good Luck David

Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #13
Coumbus, Montana
Paddling Since: 1989
Thanks David:

The Boat People comment explained the problem. I saved the oars at a cost of three $4.50 plugs. I am going to yell at Sawyer tomorrow and see if they will comp me more plugs and a new TiteSet tool. My problem was that when the TiteSet was first stuck, I called Sawyer. I was told that they had no idea why the TiteSet was stuck and how the TiteSet actually works was not explained. The obvious problem that the plugs are supposed to go into the threaded socket and not out was not mentioned nor is there any description of how the TiteSet works on the website. Having all of the repair warranty guys out of the shop and not communicating did not help the situation. We will see how well Sawyer steps up. Now that I understand the TiteSet, I like it. Just has an obvious flaw that you can screw it up turning the plug the wrong way. Clear instructions and recommendations for lubrication, if any, need to be on the Sawyer website. And it is not lefty really tighty, it is lefty stripy and breaky.

Skinwalker is offline   Reply With Quote