Old 04-24-2008   #1
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Salt River Raft Companies

So let me preface this by saying that right now I'm going to school in PA and don't have much knowledge of the rivers out west. With that being said, I'm the outgoing president of my colleges outdoors club and the incoming president is looking to head to AZ for next spring break (late Feb.-early Mar.) He wants to do some rafting and after looking around a little we've kind of decided on the Salt River. It's close to metropolitan areas we can fly into and offers a nice range of rapids as well as close to other things we'd like to do (backpacking, climbing, hiking). The question here is what raft company should we go with? I've looked at Wilderness Aware, Salt River Rafting and Canyon Rio Rafting. Are there other guide services that I should look at, are these guide services good or is there a better river that we should be looking at. Most of the people going on the trip will have several class 2/3 trips under their belts and some will have guide experience. Let me know your opinions or what other rivers I should be looking at.

cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Mild to Wild also runs a good operation there. The Salt, however, is very hit or miss for flows, especially since it sounds like you have a relatively early spring break. This year has been awesome but some years it doesn't run at all. It would really suck to buy plane tickets and get skunked. There are plenty more options that might fit your bill, too though. Cataract Canyon in Utah is awesome, guaranteed to be running, and has good side hikes as well as some classic climbing, biking and canyoneering around Arches National Park near the put-in in Moab. Definitely look into some alternative plans.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #3
Salt River Rafting is the company to go with down there. Request Wiley or James as your guide(s). Follow Count's advice on staying flexible, the Salt is finicky but a higher quality trip than Cataract.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote