Old 04-02-2014   #1
denver, Colorado
Rowing Bay Size

I know this is all personal preference, but I was hoping you all could give me some general ideas as I am new to this boat owning thing.

Try to make this quick, purchased a used 13'9" Hyside with 4 bay DRE fishing frame. Didn't come with a cooler and the rowing bay felt too large for me. I have a 17" bay under my captains chair, which is set and not changing.

I am 5'11" and am the primary rower. My wife is 5'6" and will do some rowing in mostly calm water. Fishing partners range is height with my main friend that will row half the time he is with me, which is 80% of the time, is 6'3". I like where the oars are, and made the bay smaller this weekend. It is currently at 20.5." Is this still too big?

I don't want to be overly aggressive and make it too small and uncomfortable for the taller rowers, but I do want it to fit me right. I purchased a canyon 90qt that goes in the bay in front of the oarsman and it is 19" wide. I have it NRS adjustable cooler mounts. The cooler bay is too big and I want to move the bar in front of it back to make a tighter fit so it doesn't twist.

I am re-doing the deck in the first bay in the next couple weeks, and need to get everything set before it is milled. My current deck is too small if I move the bar back, and the swivel seat is too far back on it and hits the cooler. It just plain needs re-done, so I am doing it.

Any help on sizing of the rowing bay would be much appreciated, since as you can see from my situation, it will decide the size of the front bay and the deck, where I have drop bags. My only storage when float fishing and not using the tail for gear is under the oarsman's seat and the front deck, so balancing storage space and comfort for the rower is very important.

Thank you for help!

gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Yikes. Hard to be too precise on someone else's frame, but my own experience has been that about 20" is about right most of the time. Set it up for the most frequent rower.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #3
denver, Colorado
To confirm, the raft does have the DRE mesh flip seat, and pretty tall oar towers and the 20.5" is inside to inside, not center of bar to center of bar.

Old 04-02-2014   #4
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ive found that if you sit in a chair or you sit on a cooler its different. When I used to sit on a chair i needed a larger cockpit but with a cooler it can be smaller. Mainly because when your in a chair you sit more forward on a cooler you can slide way back. I would just mess around with it.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #5
Craigamerica, -
My DRE frames are setup with 20 inch rowing bays, seems to be the average setup on DRE frames. Seems to work for all except the really tall people.
sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #6
denver, Colorado
Thank you for the replies. For clarification, is that 20" measured from the center of the bars, or 20" measured from the inside to inside?

Old 04-02-2014   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Go with what fits you the best afterall you will be rowing most of the time and it is your raft.

Interestingly I was just fitted for AAA inflatables frame and they determined that my cockpit should be 27" (I am 6.3) which seemed too big to me and was alot bigger than my current setup. We ended up having to shorten it to 24" because the frame was going to be too long for the flat part of the raft.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #8
Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
You might set it up to take captian boxes in the future or rocket boxes. Both sizes make for a nice opening.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #9
Craigamerica, -
20 inside to inside.
sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #10
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
All I know is that it is always easier to make a rowing bay smaller (ammo can foot rest, block of wood, etc. etc. but idifficult to make one bigger (gotta break out wrenches and move bars).

I'm 5'10 and have stubby legs, my captains bay is about 25". I usually strap 3 small ammo cans across the front of the bay (first aid, personal box and patch kit) that way I have several options for feet placement: On the floor, against the boxes, on the boxes or on the cooler behind. All work and help spread the work around to different body parts.

elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote