Rogue Shuttle Crash - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-24-2016   #11

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RutRow View Post
Its good that the story is shared. It is good to know this is a shuttle company to avoid
Agreed. But if there is any wisdom or good ideas let's hear them. Not too often we go through something traumatic and there isn't something that we would have done differently in hind site.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016   #12

Portland, Oregon
Longtime listener, first time caller here. I can't speak to the details of the accident , but it sounds like the OP doesn't have many details either, just a forwarded statement. As a guide and private boater on the Rogue, I have been working with Sam and Diane at Affordable all summer, since they took over operations of Affordable Shuttles and I can't imagine two nicer, more professional operators. They have fast become a part of the Rogue community and on multiple occasions have demonstrated their compassion and commitment to what they do. I rode back from Foster once with Diane driving and she was, without a doubt, the most careful driver I have ridden with on Bear Camp.

With all that said, I would be curious to learn more details about the incident and Affordable's response. Bear Camp road is a gnarly shuttle, replete with sinkholes, un-railed cliffs, and maniacal locals bombing over the pass. There have always been and will continue to be wrecks up there. Any shuttle company taking Bear Camp every day (sometimes multiple trips per day) will have accidents. Just like whitewater, driving on Bear Camp has certain, inherent risks. If you raft long enough, you're going to flip. If you drive that road enough times, you're going to smash a vehicle.

Concerning the matter of who pays for the damage, I am not sure you would find local shuttle company who would (or could) have handled things differently. Again, I would love to hear more details on the matter. With all that said, my condolences to those with the smashed vehicles. What a shitty way to end your raft trip.

And yes, I understand that this being my first post calls my credibility into question. And no, I am not affiliated with or employed by Affordable Shuttles.
LeeShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #13

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
CRASHED two of our vehicles, one into the other, rear-ended their own caravan.
No excuse, totally avoidable. It is called safe following distance.
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016   #14

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Beat Me To It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeShore View Post
With all that said, I would be curious to learn more details about the incident and Affordable's response. Bear Camp road is a gnarly shuttle, replete with sinkholes, un-railed cliffs, and maniacal locals bombing over the pass. There have always been and will continue to be wrecks up there. Any shuttle company taking Bear Camp every day (sometimes multiple trips per day) will have accidents. Just like whitewater, driving on Bear Camp has certain, inherent risks. If you raft long enough, you're going to flip. If you drive that road enough times, you're going to smash a vehicle.

Concerning the matter of who pays for the damage, I am not sure you would find local shuttle company who would (or could) have handled things differently. Again, I would love to hear more details on the matter. With all that said, my condolences to those with the smashed vehicles. What a shitty way to end your raft trip.

And yes, I understand that this being my first post calls my credibility into question. And no, I am not affiliated with or employed by Affordable Shuttles.
Wade beat me to it, but was 100% correct.

With the numerous dangers of the road and shuttle in/out that you've listed, there is even more cause for caution in utilizing a safe following distance. If one vehicle hits the other vehicle from the rear while following, this is clearly a case of following too closely. Essentially you should use safe braking distance for the speed, and then add an additional second or more of braking distance for each potential threat, harm, environmental anomaly (read: animal crossings and lightning strikes). This train of thought is common sense for many, a deliberate concentration of thought for some, and an absolute fact for anyone who has been hired as a professional shuttle driver.

Simply saying the road sucks and the owners are nice people does not excuse the fact that two people are completely screwed here being unjustly inconvenienced and unrightfully financially burdened.

In situations like this, if people intend to remain in business for any sort of time it is usually suggested to pony up, apologize, and take responsibility by doing whatever it takes to correct the situation.

A business model cannot survive on the following 2 one-liners....

-You had 1 job to do!
-You're doing it wrong!
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #15

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I have driving that shuttle and it is burly definitely worth paying for if you are doing a Rouge trip (unless you have two days to drive).
I also wonder how much it would cost to offer a shuttle that did offer up some sort of liability option for the care of the vehicle while it is in transport. Example:

Options a. $150 no liability
Option b. $1000 = $10000 insurance in the event of an accident.

Thanks for the post by the way. I will make sure to use another shuttle in the future. I hate to see good people lose business but I haft to agree with DriftBait on this one. They made a mistake and used their policy as an excuse to not take accountability for it.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #16

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftaBit View Post
Simply saying the road sucks and the owners are nice people does not excuse the fact that two people are completely screwed here being unjustly inconvenienced and unrightfully financially burdened.
Lots of strong points being made. I will likely see the owners in the next few days and will point out this thread in addition to asking about the accident.

In the mean time (and in the absence of further details) I will continue to recommend their services to my friends and family. My firsthand experiences with them mean more (to me) than a third hand account on a message board. I hope that makes sense.
LeeShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #17

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Lot of interesting view points, probably all valid. Here is my question, does Affordable Shuttle have liability insurance? They should. They are in the business of moving property & vehicles and should have insurance that would be similar to a garage who are responsible for peoples vehicles and often test drive them. No real difference, right? So if that is the case, they should be filing an "at fault" claim with their insurance company to take care of the customers vehicle.

So maybe the question should be when we are looking for shuttle companies, we should be asking them if they have current insurance and what happens if they wreck a vehicle. I don't care what is on the liability release, if they are liable….they are liable.

And like everyone else, always happy at the end of the trip to see my vehicle there in one piece.
Old 08-24-2016   #18

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
It would seem likely to me (uneducated opinion here) that a shuttle company is required by law to have liability insurance for the vehicles they shuttle. If so, they should be using it.

Not much different that the commercial groups that are required to carry insurance for the people on their trips. You get hurt on a rafting trip, if the company is at fault, then they pay. Otherwise its your insurance.

Same deal here... rear end accident clearly a result of following to closely (yes I've driven Bear Camp several times and know about the conditions), company is at fault. They should pay. If your vehicle breaks down, well that's not their fault. You should pay. Pretty simple I think.

Hope it all works out, my first shuttle I paid for I got to the end of the river and it wasn't there! But it arrived 4 hours late... definitely a case of better late than never~
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #19

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by UriahJones View Post
It would seem likely to me (uneducated opinion here) that a shuttle company is required by law to have liability insurance for the vehicles they shuttle. If so, they should be using it.

Not much different that the commercial groups that are required to carry insurance for the people on their trips. You get hurt on a rafting trip, if the company is at fault, then they pay. Otherwise its your insurance.

Same deal here... rear end accident clearly a result of following to closely (yes I've driven Bear Camp several times and know about the conditions), company is at fault. They should pay. If your vehicle breaks down, well that's not their fault. You should pay. Pretty simple I think.

Hope it all works out, my first shuttle I paid for I got to the end of the river and it wasn't there! But it arrived 4 hours late... definitely a case of better late than never~
Well said!

Think we all assume that these companies have proper and adequate insurance, but probably wouldn't hurt to always ask!
Old 08-24-2016   #20

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeShore View Post
I will likely see the owners in the next few days and will point out this thread in addition to asking about the accident.
Get back to us when you do. I would really like to hear their side of the story. I have used Affordable Shuttles many times over the years but am now reconsidering.

And I always thought "leave your key taped to the drivers side front tire" or other not so secret location was funky. I would rather hand my spare key to someone in person.