Old 08-27-2012   #41
Ashlandistan, Oregon
Heated topic obviously. My biggest concern is that dogs don't always understand the environment they are put in by their owners. Obviously they can't understand a safety briefing. However, on more than one occasion, Blossom Bar and the Fish Ladder to name a couple , I have been on a river and had owners or party members losing it after they wrecked and now "Fido" is missing or stranded in a precarious position. Personally, I will no longer risk my life and limb for someone's dog on the river. As that is my position I tell that to anyone I am boating with considering bringing their pup.
I also find it ironic that the numbers of people on the Rogue and what they do with their feces is heavily regulated, but nothing is ever mentioned about dogs. I have seen a few trips out there this summer with 4 ,or more, dogs in the pod.

solboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #42
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Actually the original topic wasn't heated at all. Are dogs allowed on the Rogue? Pretty simple topic, with a few replies to confirm that they are allowed, bear safety, and tick & poison oak safety info. All the rest are people's heart felt opinions, and could go on ad nauseam. Some folks find well behaved river dogs and their owners to be a positive addition to their river experience, some find it detracts from their experience. Some folks feel the same about small children on the river. Some like peace and tranquility on the river, some like to party and cut loose on their trips. No right or wrong.....just different strokes for different folks. Peace out.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #43
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Bonus danger: Salmon Poisoning Disease. That was only $2,500 to fix.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #44
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Every trip is a bit different when it comes to dogs and kids (same thing in my opinion, and I have both). I've never been on a trip where I didn't have a choice to go, or not, knowing the demographics. True, there have been a couple of moments when I wanted to strangle a dog/kid parent from another trip at the put in/take out, that just hasn't been on a trip that I've been on so far.

Parents, just put your dog/kid on a leash, and please, pick up their shit.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012   #45
Wow you are clearly a bigger more rounded and conginial person than I And we're done here

Originally Posted by slickhorn View Post
Cool. Nice example of that whole live and let philosophy there oarboatman.

I guess another way of representing your opinion is "this here river is fer dog people and if youze guys don't like dog feces, pets in yer food, or noise all night, GTFO!"

I mean, why make an effort to meet anyone half way right? dogs are allowed, therefore only pro-dog people should be there.

yup, makes total sense to me ...
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #46
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
probably enough has been said . I like a well mannered dog as I have border collies [working dogs ] they go every where with me on my ranch . they are well mannered they wait for an invatation before approaching a new person or kid . I have seen many river dogs that are the same --great dogs . Most river dogs and paddlers are the same -kind , polite and willing to go the extra mile to help a fellow paddler . I ahve also seen just the oppsite . 2 % of paddlersand dogs . So if I have offended any one and there dog my deepest applogees .
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #47
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
How do you divide the cost when there are dogs on the trip? I vote for evenly.

and how do you calculate groover space?
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #48
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by TriBri1
How do you divide the cost when there are dogs on the trip? I vote for evenly.

and how do you calculate groover space?
We have a spreadsheet. Each member estimates how much of the dog they ate and then divide by the total adoption cost. I love rafting with Koreans!!!
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #49
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
We have a spreadsheet. Each member estimates how much of the dog they ate and then divide by the total adoption cost. I love rafting with Koreans!!!
I have a dog and girlfriend that I love. I still recommend to friends to leave them both home on multi day trips.
Just got off the rouge, its hot saw a few rattlesnake and have heard of a few friends dogs getting heat stroke in mid summer. Not the best place for pets or KIDS.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #50
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1994
I was on the Rogue this past Thursday through Sunday, without a dog

Saw dogs every day, some camps had several. Saw six or seven bears, but they all stayed on the other side of the river from our camps.

Also saw dog poop in most camps; the dogs were running loose (including coming up to our camp from a nearby site) and the owners would never have known to clean it up.

One dog had a bottle opener attached to its collar...

tom f is offline   Reply With Quote