River trip traditions, rituals & games - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
River trip traditions, rituals & games

Buzzards-

It seems that most friend groups in the rafting community have some sort of quirky river games, traditions, superstitions, and rituals that go along with time on the water.

Maybe its just a Missoula thing but on all my multidays we start night one with drinking 'Yucca' to get the good juju going... Its a big pot full of tequila, quartered limes, lemons, and oranges, a cup of sugar and ice. The pot is shaken and passed in a circle until gone. No stopping or quitting til' she gone. 'River Court' and 'Prom/Costume Night' are usually involved too. The girls like to do a spa day up on layovers. Also, no bananas on my boat. Finally- I have always lived by the time honored bootie beer law. Your sins must be atoned for.

Anyone else have anything of the like in their group?

Hans n Franz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Shapp

the grove, citizen of the planet
Paddling Since: 1985
On the family trips we always have a night of cards, the preferred game we call "To hell and back", which is also referred to by us as "The Game".

"The Game"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Hell

One variant is that if you miss your bid (the number of tricks for that round you bid that you will take/win), you have to take that equal number of swigs off your adult beverage.

Another tradition is that pukers have groover cleanup/pack duty the next morning.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Wine bag blessings by the TL and Talent Night seem to always happen on our trips.

I've only met one person who has ever mentioned Yucca, but I feel like she said it was vodka, lemons, sugar, and ice. She is a Missoulian and her husband guides, so chances are we may know some of the same peeps.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
Lesiure Activities

All the Lads and Lassies dawn their finest and participate in a round of croquet. Gentlemen's rules apply and one must always be holding your G&T (or substitute) in hand. Disagreements are settled at the BB range, and couples wearing complementing outfits are allowed to join forces. Cheating is encouraged as long as you get away with it.
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1998
When you get a new paddle, throw it in the river, jump in and swim after it.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We always like to sacrifice the trip slacker to the River Gods on the last night.

That last landing when they plop down in a chair while everyone's unloading boats? Just keep handing them beers every time you bring up a bag and it makes the job so much easier.

Some things that go on the river stay on the river. In very small pieces...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Ray's for burgers and fries after a Deso trip is a must do!
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
On the family trips we always have a night of cards, the preferred game we call "To hell and back", which is also referred to by us as "The Game".

"The Game"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh_Hell

One variant is that if you miss your bid (the number of tricks for that round you bid that you will take/win), you have to take that equal number of swigs off your adult beverage.

Another tradition is that pukers have groover cleanup/pack duty the next morning.
We call it by the wiki name "Oh Hell" and have been playing it as long as I can remember. Never done it on the river but it's our go-to Holiday game... Funny my dad refers to it as "That Game". He pretends to hate it but we all know he loves it. Many, many hours of great family time have been spent playing that game.

I almost always complete my daily boat rigging by mixing up a rum and coke to kick off the days liver torture. It's the last thing I do before shoving off. Thats the closest thing I have to a ritual.
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Gotta donate a splash of beer to the river gods. Can't catch fish if the river gods aren't appeased.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #10

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
If ya float the lower salmon you have to jump off the log.

https://youtu.be/9pNILCJfigk