Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-16-2004   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Recommendation for commercial rafting on Arkansas?

Sorry, I think this topic's been done before but couldn't find the thread. I've got family coming into town that want to do some rafting on the Arkansas. Any company that's better at dodging rocks than the next? Thanks.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #2
Canyon Marine - quality outfitter. Plus Greg is one fine gentleman.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #3
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Highside Adventure Tours / Good Times Rafting

You should call good times rafting and talk to Jonny. He's a friend and I have taken many trips with them. The guides are great and everything is organized well. Also, most of the equipment is new. Pretty much guaranteed a great trip and the prices are reasonable. They usually do steaks for lunch on the one day trips. They will personalize a trip for you if they don't already have something set up that you are interested in.

Here is the site:

Tell him Kim sent you.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #4
Boulder, Colorado
dump question (kind of related)

What is the usual policy/feeling/etc of having a kayaker "tag" along. Say that I have family/friends in town and they want to do a raft trip somewhere. Would it be improper/rude/ or whatever to tag along in a kayak (along with one or two other kayakers). Assume that food and safety would be the kayakers responsibility.

Just wondering
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #5
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've done it....

Well, I have a lot of friends who guide and they have never had a problem with me tagging along with some buddies. I would imagine that as long as you don't mooch their lunch and stay clear of them through rough water they are cool with it. I would just check with the guide. On the Ark it is pretty hard to not have yakkers hangin' around. It's like Grand Central Station this time of year. I do know that if you get in their way they will bonk you with a paddle! (at least I would )
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #6
Okay, I just had a BIG reply already to send till my fingers hit the WRONG key(s) and BIll Gates and his fuQQING windozz shortcuts ERASED the WHOLE GAWD DANMED THING! I hate that sh!T grrrrrrr.
I'll start over, (I HATE Bill Gates)
Last year, my "running club" oragized a trip though one of the Johnson Village (Buena Vista) companies. They would NOT let me kayak along with the group unless I signed their waver, used their lifejacket and helmet (crappy 10 year old plastic P.O.S.), PAYED for the bus shuttle and stayed with the group (ie: no stop and surf waves!) I kinda felt like they wanted me to be a non-payed (I had to pay them) safety boater for them. If I wanted to eat, I would have to pay more money (understandable), but I had my own food. Needless to say, I just drove myself to the put-in and just so happened to be on the river at the same time as my friends in their rafts. They can't stop that!

Whenever my family comes to town for a trip, they use Adventure Quest out of Canon City. (719)269-9807. Larry is a super nice guy and they have good food. From day one, he has always let me kayak alongside the rafts, given me and my kayak a shuttle back up FREE of charge. NONE of the problem I had in the other guys. After the paying customers ate, I was given some food as well. Super cool.

They've taken my family down Browns, Parkdale and the Royal Gorge. We used them the first time they came to raft and the next year as well. Then I moved to Buena Vista and we tried some of the companies up there. Those bigger operations made my mom and dad feel like cattle, not a real personalized experience. It may have just been a few bad guides, but they decided that they had a better time with Adventure Quest. Now, ALL trips go through AQ. Convenient too, now that I live in FLorence (next to Canon City).

I don't work for them, nor do any of my buds, nor do I hang with them afterwork or anything. I'm just giving credit and thanks to Larry and the rest of Adventure Quest for taking great care of my mom, dad, brothers and sisters. I highly recommend them.

Ed Hansen
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004   #7
arkansas valley adventures, just south of granite. i used to video on the ark and they seemed pretty pro to me. duke is cool, has quality gear, and a nice location away from the rest of the circus. i worked for a lot of outfitters over the years, and he seems to have it the most together.
mccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004   #8
The next zone, .
Just some info from the ark – Gregg does not own canyon marine anymore and adventure quest’s permit is on suspension from the AHRA so they are not even rafting right now. Up in granite is about a 45 min drive from the takeout of Browns so if you like to ride on school busses go up to granite.

The best option for rafting on the Arkansas is Noah’s Ark – it is not a “gas station” run operation and you can be sure by using Noah’s that you will be supporting the biggest user of Browns Canyon (and the #1 reason private boaters will be rationed in the near future). The pinnacle of commercial rafting Noah’s is. Noah’s is what commercial rafting on the Ark is all about – 5 pods of 9-10 rafts running exactly 100 yds apart and 6-7 busses clogging hecla – enjoy!

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, arkansas, rafting