Old 04-09-2013   #51
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Whoapiglet View Post
You sound like Chris McCandless. Best of luck to you with that.
Originally Posted by shoenfeld13 View Post
You are pulling an Aaron Ralston, except that you will be requiring help from others when you get in trouble. And asking about doing it in a kayak...please.
Actually, after reading Ralston's book, I got the impression that he was unprepared for the risks he put himself into--he just had more luck than McCandless.

Originally Posted by Conan Of Cimmeria View Post
Got myself signed up for a kayaking class though. I'm going to see if it's possible to kayak from LA to San Diego. That would be an awesome trip too, if possible. Probably not though, with the Marine base in between. Thanks for all the advice, I shall continue my research.
Your current wilderness experience would probably relate to a long sea kayak trip than it would a long whitewater trip. Seriously.

Sea kayaking takes some training and some situational awareness...but far less than whitewater. Stuff happens out on the ocean, but generally not with the same rapidity as on the river. Potential severity is equal to or greater on the ocean.

Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I think one of the things that chafes some of us at the prospect of a novice putting themselves into harm's way, like the trip you're asking about, is the prospect of involving other boaters in an unnecessary rescue. That's a prime situation in which you could endanger others. I've got a buddy whose ankle has never fully recovered from when he twisted it while helping rescue another party many years ago.
Conan, I have to underscore what Andy H has said. There is an ethic on the river that we help others in need. Your desire to do it solo and unprepared flies in the face of our river culture. That is a prime reason you're getting so much flak.

A solo wilderness or sea trip will probably not even get noticed by other people out in the area. On the river, we're always looking out for each other.

Originally Posted by squeakyboater View Post
I am going to chime in with some quite relevant commentary and a wee bit of ego stroking:
Actually, I was thinking of your winter MF Salmon trip report to show him what kind of solo experience he could have on the river. Large consequences, lots of solitude, but not quite the same risks from the water (hypothermia, not so much flush drowning).

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #52
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
THAT! Is a great video! Well done!

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #53
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Hook, line and sinker.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #54
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
To the op ( if you accomplished your goal): Been there, done that. Would do it again. IMO, January is the primo month for a solo GC due the availability of permits and the higher water levels (more options in some of the drops). My friends speak to me in the same tone as the naysayers here. Regardless, its a fine badge.

ps: my favorite camp/hike on that adventure and memory was at Racetrack which has been so troubling to me since last autumns accidental drowning near there. RIP dear fellow spirit.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013   #55
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Trolls and Buzz Holmstrom

I think the OP was a troll, and a good one. But it is interesting to think of the concept after reading about folks like Amos Burg or Buzz Holmstrom. If they posted today -- "can I solo the Grand Canyon in a crappy wooden boat, or sole canoe the pre-dam Columbia from BC to the Mouth with no:
wetsuit,drysuit, gore tex socks, yeti cooler, water filter, solar charging station, dry bag, barney bag, WAGG Bag, dry box, boom box, spice box, GPS -indexed waterproof map, Eco-safe, pee bucket, WRSI helmet, serrated knife with a blunt tip, 11 mm static rescue line, 27 kn pullies, locking carabiners, prussik around the waist of a rescue vest, sat phone, firepan, partner stove, kitchen mat, fire blanket, combo table-backboard, oar rights, urethane coated polyester base fabric in puncture-proof bazillion denier, a folding chair, roll-a-cot or micro-brew in a fracking can?"

We would probably say, "O.k.,but first you have to take guide training, swiftwater rescue training, and wilderness first responder training, then get a dual law degree in law and statistics to master the permit system."

Screw it, it's easier to sit on my ass and read about other people's real adventures. Along that line, I recommend Vince Welch's books on Holmstrom and Amos Burg..

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote