Old 03-27-2012   #41
Columbus, Indiana
Strait into the meat of it hahaha

seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #42
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Got us!

O.K. Conan, Who are you really? I fell for it too! "HILARIOUS" !!!

Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #43
You might want to read up on other folks who tried to do this. Here are some links.

One boat couple...

Book on topic... Canyon Solitude: A Woman's Solo River Journey Through the Grand Canyon (Adventura Books) (9781580050074): McCairen: Books

Detailed blog.....

Solo #6 - A Short Story Photo Gallery by Bruce McElya at

You tube vid...

Trip gone bad...

What do I need to carry in a survival situation

Someone setting off on a solo trip...

Solo Colorado River Rafter at Lees Ferry | Video - Scottsdale Arizona News

Good luck with your trip bud, have fun!
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #44
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
You could do a rim to rim solo hike and packraft your crossing. You wouldn't get the full on rapids but would get to experience the river. Not sure about any permit required for this.
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #45
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Conan, which I hope is your name and/or a nod to the Governator and his fine acting career.

I have tried to resist, but I just have to chime in here. You aren't going to run the Grand Canyon; probably ever. You are sitting in your house in Connecticut, watching TV and wishing you were a bolder man. Unfortunately, you aren't. Camping without a weapon is as adventurous as life is going to get for you, but that's okay. At least you're camping.

I just want to be honest, Conan. To run the Grand solo you will have to develop a set of skills that requires being invited on lots of trips with others - as rafting is generally a group sport. To be invited to camp, eat, boat, and live with others you can't be an arrogant troll from Connecticut. Do you see the catch 22 here?

If I sound rude it's because it's insulting for many of us to hone these skills in places we take very seriously, all to see some jackass from Connecticut get killed trying to one up us.

My wife and I want to do the Grand as a one boat trip one day. We've both run the trip before, twice for me, and I run rafts for a living. We decided that there's no way we're ready for a one boat trip on our 2013 permit and we might never be. I strongly advise the same caution.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012   #46
Jenks, Oklahoma
What interests me is the number of replies this Conan gent is getting, including mine.

If this gent is for real, I suggest he get on a river with a big rapid, flip his raft, then attempt to catch it (what are the chances you come up close to the raft?) if you do catch the raft, figure out how to get the raft to shore and flipped back up (can be done solo but takes some technique) or think about survival till someone else floats by with what ever he has on his PFD.

Poaching a night camping alone in a National Forest is big time difference between poaching a solo trip down the GC.

Having said all the above, my solo craft of choice would be a Remix XP10 loaded with freeze dry and a poop stick. The Liquid Logic guys run the GC in these boats (in a group with legal permits) on a regular basis or at least for the last couple years.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #47
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What you are asking is akin to saying, I am looking to solo El Cap with no experience. No one would think to ask this question on a rock climbing site, but anyone can buy a boat and start floating. It is also similar to thinking you can perform open heart surgery because you watched it on TV. Don't be a tool. Being in la la land is one thing but this is just stupid. You are pulling an Aaron Ralston, except that you will be requiring help from others when you get in trouble. And asking about doing it in a kayak...please. At least spend 10 minutes looking on the web before wondering why many think you are a loon. You know so little that you don't even know where to begin. Try at the beginning.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #48
boulder, Colorado
I am going to chime in with some quite relevant commentary and a wee bit of ego stroking:

It would be probably 6 years ago now that, after hiking down the Paria, I found myself watching boaters load up at Lees Ferry for a trip down the Colorado. I spent the next week hitch hiking and hiking around the South and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Latter in the trip, while driving over the Glen Canyon bridge, I decided that I would run the Grand Canyon.

So, I finished driving over the bridge and drove up to a rafting outfit in Page. I asked for a job. They said, "Have you rafted before?" I replied, "No, but I am a good climber." Needless to say, I was not hired. They told me to go get some experience and come back in a few years.

So, I went back home and signed up for a guide training course. I spent the next 4 years commercially guiding in Colorado and privately boating in Idaho, Colorado, Utah and Arizona.

Then I picked up a permit to run the Grand. It was a Jan 3rd trip. I was stoked to do it solo via a self support kayak run. However, instead, I bailed and launched on Jan. 1st with a good friend's trip. Because of the experience I had gained, I was able to boat scout every rapid besides Horn (I was getting the spins, so I needed some shore time). It was a blast, but very cruser.

HOWEVER: I did run a class V, 350 mile raft trip alone in the Yukon after my first year of guiding. It took 14 days and I was alone with no sat phone, no map and no way out other than a small village somewhere down stream. It was an amazing trip, somewhat terrifying and fairly stressful. The point of this is to say: get out and do what you want how you want to do it, but at least have enough experience to know that you are getting in over your head.

squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #49
Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 1998
Good times in the ditch:

thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013   #50
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Awesome vid!! Lava looked very different at that level. Strong work!!

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote