Old 06-08-2016   #1
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Rafting Gore Creek with Oar Rig

Hello just wanted to get a new thread going on rafting the gore creek. I ran it tonight in a 12'9" Jacks Plastic Cataraft with 19" tubes and 8' oars. Seat with no back to lay back under bridges. The boat sits about 3' above the water line with the oar towers. The creek was at 1030 cfs when I put in and at 1150 cfs an hour and a half later after the Donovan park rapid. I ran out of daylight to go to down to Stevens park but it looked good to go on my previous scout. I ran it at 600 cfs earlier in the week in an 8' cat. I think 700-1000 cfs is the go level for up to 13' oar rigs with a similar water profile as my cat. The concrete and metal was inches from my face at several of the bridges. Definitely would not go in there above 1100 with the oar frame.

Hope this clears up the beta from the previous Gore Creek thread which said to keep the oar rigs out.

The scouts I did earlier in the day from the bike path as the eddies are pretty non existent. The scouts are as follows.

1. Behind the green office building just past the lionshead gondola. I ran center to left. Large Boulder and log jam at bottom.

2. Just down river of the previous rapid check out the one before the ski bridge. I went right and pushed hard left to get under bridge.

3. Behind tennis courts at Donovan Park. This one is spicy. I ran center to right of big hole then left of giant boulder then back right.

4. Finally scouted just past roundabout in intermountain. Didn't get to run this one but it looks center to left.

I would definitely pull out at Stevens park unless you have kayakers to catch your boat above the pipe down river.

There is one more rapid past the pipe before the Eagle confluence that looks like it has an eddy to catch before the railroad bridge which is partially under water right now.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to run this stretch. I couldn't find much beta on it so here you go. The rapids described were very technical with little room for error. The creek moves Very fast so be sure of your moves and having someone run safety through the rapids is what I did since no one would fire it up with me.

"You only get to run it blind once!"

Imlivinforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016   #2
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
On a side note if anyone every wants to fire up this run I'm down like Charlie Brown!

Imlivinforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016   #3
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Who's done the Upper Gore recently? I should scout it from the bike path. I haven't done that in ages.
skyg is offline   Reply With Quote