Old 06-10-2010   #11
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by foulhooked1 View Post stripe launches you about 8 feet through the air. super fun! browns should be below 4000 by tomorrow, stone bridge should be ok with a heads down. otherwise its an easy portage. have fun great run
I hope not! That would be pretty amazing to see a 14' oar rig launched 8' into the air! Heads down under Stone bridge in a kayak, or a raft? It was pretty low clearance at 2,200 cfs when I ran it two weeks ago. I have a flip seat and oar towers to worry about as well.

What's Seidel's like at 4,000-ish cfs? What's the line there in a raft? You have me thinking twice about my plan. If I can get even just the raft under stone bridge (line it through?), it would be worth it for the chance to run Twin Falls. I don't see it as an easy portage in my case if the raft has to come out of the water. oars, frame, cooler, etc all has to come off to make it light enough to carry up and around.

Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post'll miss Siedel's and Double Drop (aka twin falls)...
I know, that's a bummer. Twin Falls is one of my favorite rapids. I am just not a fan of lugging my heavy-ass raft up river banks. Maybe I should delegate that to my buddies.... LOL

The times you guys have given are just about right. Now I have to decide - Fractions to hecla, BV to Stoney, Fractions to Stoney... Will make the final decision when I see the flows in the morning, but something in the 4 1/2 hours range would be perfect!

As I recall, Stone Bridge is a very short hike from the parking loat anyway. I suppose we could take the frame off, portage it around or just take it to the take out, then float on down to the take out with the rest. That assumes the boat itself will go under the bridge.

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #12
vail, Colorado
Sidels flushes a little after 3 grand. the hole is softer (not as sticky/re-circy. Left is probably your easiest line. At this level you almost have to try (surf reflector into the hole) to hit the meat. Start cener right, bust through the left reflector up high where it is soft, and hug the left bank. Right line is a little trickier, although the line is the same, essentialy, as lower levels. Use the water to help you swing from bow left. Pulling as you make the first drop the water will turn you back down stream. Push past the hole. piece of cake. As far as Stoney, you probably cant make it in an oar frame, but you can de-rig and portage to the take out is only 100 yrds down stream. dont cheat yourself by missing some of the best waves on the river. The Silver bullet in BV is awesome, one of my favorite features on this section.You dont get thrown up in the air you get thrown out into it. You will love it. you will know what I mean when you see it. I agree with blade&shaft that you should avoid the right side. In addition to the rebar there is also a big re-circ hole at the bottom. I think there is still a sign that says "DANGER BOAT CHUTE STAY RIGHT!" or something. Ignore this sign or proceed over good judgment. FYI not recomended to run "Big Drop" meat in an oar frame at any level especially highwater (dental bills). Also canyon doors is really crunchy so dont gut it or you may swim pinball. I would recomend doing the whole thing from RR bridge (5.5) to Stoney. Sounds great!

foulhooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #13
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
at these levels, as i recall, "screen door" appears and can be surprisingly grabby if you aren't looking for it.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010   #14
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I think we're going to do Railroad Bridge to Hecla. We have Rockies tickets tommorrow night, and I think they may be behind home plate...

Thanls for all the info. I'm looking forward to it. I leave for vacation on Sunday, so by the time I get back, it will probably be nothing but a tmae little float trip (relatively speaking of course)...

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote