Old 03-23-2014   #31
I love these dog threads....

8 years ago....we have a new boat but the same dog. We had a little cancer scare with him this year, but all seems good after a couple of surgeries. We likely won't go on a trip without him this year. He likes the river more than we do! Ever seen the Labrador happy dance?...every day when on the water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strider on point.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	7936  

leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #32
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Yikes, cancer is scary. We lost Hazel to cancer last summer. Best of luck to you.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #33
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a female German Shepherd. She is about 100 pounds, and either rides the gear pile, or fights with my wife for space on the front dry box.

She loves the trips, but also wines when everyone gets spread out.

I put her in a cheap pfd I got at Petco. It is more to give me a handle to get her back in the boat than to float her. She has done class IV with no problem.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #34
denver, Colorado
Does anyone with very small dogs take theirs with them? Also, anyone have any experience with the very small life jackets? These look good:

EzyDog Micro Doggy Flotation Device : Free Shipping : Backcountry K-9

We have two Yorkie's, both are 15 months currently. They are both very athletic with very good balance. They loved to camp last year as pups. They love the snow, and again, last summer as pups, they both liked the water when introduced and were not fearful of current, which scared me a bit as they were floating down a very small creek.

I know they are not typical river or outdoor dogs, but it almost feels like a small lap dog would be great for a raft and its small space. They are also not short and fat like some yorkies. One is about 6.5lbs and the other somehow ended up twice that size. He is very tall for a yorkie and long. The other day the little guy jumped up onto our kitchen counter in excitement for his bath. The counter is 37.5" high. It was crazy. Standing jump right up onto it. They LOVE baths, so I am hoping they will love the river.

I would not really every want them on the river though without life jackets, and don't plan on floating anything above class II with one or two class III rapids. Like pumphouse in the summer. The main thing will be keeping them from getting too cold if they get wet, since they don't really have the coat to be in and out of water. Any other concerns? Keep them on the end of a rope haha.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #35
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Clavey is a purebred Brittany I found at the Humane Society. I took him for a run in the woods in January a week after I got him. He found a pond and went swimming! Needless to say he adapted well to rafting. He can find my boat at a crowded put in. He swims back when he falls out. He'll get straight back in the boat after flipping... He walks class V, but not by choice... he'll run anything I do. Oh, and he likes sitting between my knees in the IK.

He prefers multi-day trips, of course. Day trips with wild put in and take out locations so he can run around and sniff everything also work. The breed are hunters, so you gotta deal with the game drive and high energy. I ran a personal marathon in the woods near home and he ran the first twenty miles with me. I handed him off to the wife for the home stretch because I was too exhausted to mind him but he would have kept going!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	319.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	7938   Click image for larger version

Name:	366.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	788.6 KB
ID:	7939  

jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #36
Boise, Idaho
This is Levi. He is a smaller dog (about 20 pounds now) that did a 3 day Hells Canyon with last year at about 9 months of age. We aren't exactly sure what kind he is (wire haired Jack Russel is the current guess) but he did pretty good. He will always wear his CFD in rapids. Having a handle is great.

That's him at Henry's lake looking for a trout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0566.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	7946  
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #37
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Love the Brittany balancing on the boat!

I've seen many small dogs rafting, I don't see why an enthusiastic Yorkie would have a problem. If the dog is game, go for it.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #38
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
QUOTE=scout1;352185]I really want to get a good boat dog. I was wondering what everyone has and what class water they go on, what kind of life jackets, what kind of space do they have on the boat etc. etc.
Springer Spaniels - 40- 60 lbs. They roam on the boat, sleep on the gear pile, cooler, sometimes the floor. Great dogs, very friendly, very loyal. They too protect camp and kids. I have two NRS dogjackets, but niether of my current two have ever worn them. I typically don't do over class III with them, but my old springers did run some bigger water when I was single; Bear Trap (Madison), House Rock (Gallatin), Maupin Stretch of Deschutes, Main Salmon. One swam House Rock (pre-lifejacket). She got out of the river much faster than we humans did. She just followed us down on the bank. I got the jackets (both passed several years ago) prior to a Main Salmon trip which followed the flip in House Rock by a month or so (reality check and lesson learned).

As my kids grow we'll probably start doing bigger water, but until then the dogs usually stay with the kids when it's not a full family outing. dogs are awesome! Can't imagine life without them!

Attachment 7907 Attachment 7908[/QUOTE]

Let's hear it for Springers...mellow, love the water, and are very warm at night. I'll skip the rest of the story and post pictures - Main salmon and kicking back at home...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9285.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	7951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2098.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	7952  

Name:	IMG_3874.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	7953  
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #39
DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Boarder Collie/Blue Healer, The dog bed works great for her she know were her place is and she's just really happy to be on the water with her mom and dad. Salt, Westwater, Chama, even a 4 day 210 mile run on the Dolores!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3302.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	7955  
"Eddies are our friends"
eddy hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #40
Steamboat Springs, Colorado

We have two 80 pound poodles who love the raft and water. They are basically smart labs who do not shed. Great swimmers, but we usually have cfds on them for the ease of having a handle to lift them back in the boat. They are couch dogs at home and have more energy than most when they are outside. Oh yeah, they are great bird dogs too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	7959   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	7960  

Name:	photo 3.JPG