Views:	362
Size:	557.8 KB
ID:	7911

Norman, loves to float

John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My Mini Aussie is so-so as a river dog. I've only had him on class I-II. Similar experience to codycleve and his border collie. Tucker is fine with water & swimming, great in camp, great fishing companion, but not so great on the boat. He paces & whines. Drives me crazy and makes me nervous. I have finally decided that it must be because he's a herding breed, and he gets freaked out when his "flock" is separated from him by water. He has fallen off my cataraft a couple times. We'll see how he does on my raft this summer on class I, Southfork Snake.

On the flip side is my rafting buddy's chocolate Lab. She's been raised on the river and goes on all trips that she's allowed. She flies into Indian Creek on our fall MFS trips. The pilots comment on how she's better behaved in the plane than some humans. My friend swears that the dog gets more trip invites than he does. People love her. She mostly chills on the cooler/dry box, but rides the gear pile behind her human in rapids. She's swam a few rapids, but it doesn't seem to phase her a bit. As long as she's with her humans she's happy. My friend says that every spring, as soon as he starts messing with his boats, she starts jumping for joy.

My dog started with a Ruff Wear CFD as a pup, and now wears a D-Fa Float Doggy. My friend's dog wears a Ruff Wear. If you are on class II and above, your river dog should be wearing a CFD. Yes, dogs are good swimmers, but they tire quickly, and they don't deal well with cold water & hydraulics. Plus the CFD handle makes it much easier to get them back in the boat.

Pics are of Tucker as a a calm moment on the Southfork Snake.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #13
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
You should have to "pass" dogs before you can have kids... no idea what flavor is easiest/most successful/whatever, but do note that dogs increasingly unwelcome on rivers (Deso last year? San Juan year before? - heck, in 1976 we took a Doberman down Cat!).
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Clip of my female German Short Hair Pointer taking a dip above Sunshine in the Royal Gorge. She loves to be out but is not to crazy for the big waves.
Attached Files
jspoon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #15
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
1 yr old Zeke. He'll ride anything I do which is IV and lower water. Im putting a seat pad on the cooler otherwise he sits on the table on the bow. That dog would rather swim along side actually. We will see how he does. It's great having a good dog around camp. Great time wasters and good alarms. Now if I could just teach him that skunks are not his friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	874.9 KB
ID:	7915  
bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #16
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Australian Cattle Dog.
Astral PFD.
class III
stays on the boat
keeps bears away

He's been with me on the river since he was a pup(almost 6yrs now). He's done some pretty solid class IV, like high water byers canyon, dowd chute, gallatin, wind river, ect.. lots more of class III type runs.

He rides right up front looking over the bow or on a gear pile until a big rapid, then he hunkers down on the floor. He knows how to read the river pretty good and if we're lapping a run like byers canyon he starts to recognize the rapids and knows which ones to get down for. He's not a fan of cold water, so he stays on the boat unless we flip. He is a good swimmer and executes text book eddy turns, peel outs, has perfect ferry angle, and highsides like a champ! If I'm out front kayaking he whines for a bit but then chills out after about 5 min. He sometimes barks more than I would like at camp, but does keep animals away and has ran bears out of camp.
turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #17
bozeman, Montana
black lab/ huskie mix pound dog mutt, 80lbs
1-3+ h20
no pfd
Sits very calmly on front bay bench seat while reading a book.
The cheaper they are=better dog.
patrick l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #18
Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Our 3-year-old yellow Lab Kelsey has been rafting with us since she was 4 months old, and she goes with us everywhere dogs are allowed - she is just part of our family. We did dry land familiarization with getting in and out of the boat, sitting in the boat, and wearing her life jacket, before ever getting on the water, and it helped big time. We're lucky that she's only 65 pounds, and amazingly mellow on the boat. Her perch is atop a dry box right behind the rower's seat, since she doesn't like to get splashed. Funny that she loves to swim, but doesn't like splash from rapids! We always have her Ruff life jacket on her when we're on the river. Have done up to class III/IV rivers at fairly high water levels with her. Love it, love it, love it - she is such a great companion. The only time she gets a little antsy is when she doesn't like my line through bigger rapids - she will get up and move to the drier side of her perch as if commenting on my rowing ability!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kelsey on the Klamath.png
Views:	198
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	7916  
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #19
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
We had two pound dogs (separate owners) on a Main Salmon trip last Fall and I could not believe how well behaved they were on shore which to me matters most. BTW Montana has one permit river and dogs are not allowed.
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #20
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Small breed mix
Ruff ware dfd
Most trips he's allowed to go on. Loves the Gunny!

Name:	image-3238256112.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	7917

Known Cairn Hater

`...><((((>`...><((((>`...><(( ((>
Flohotter is offline   Reply With Quote