Old 06-08-2008   #31
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1981
USGS site

Originally Posted by Fall line View Post
Yea thanks i've been looking at that site. I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to look up last years flow drop during that period. Plus like you said this is a much bigger year. Anyways looking forward to the trip, can't get here soon enough.
Howdy Fall Line,
This can be a tricky site to use the first time out. You can look up last year by choosing "daily statistics" from the drop down menu at the top of the page. Then check "discharge" and put in your dates. If you only want to look at last year, type in 2007, 06 (for June) and your days. Since your trying to get a sense of how fast it'll drop, try a 2007 start date a month before your trip and an end date a month after, or something like that. When it comes to prediction, looking at multi-year averages will be more accurate than looking at a single year.

HOWEVER... Not only is this year a heavier snow year, resulting in more runoff from the Yampa, etc. but wildlife managers are trying to improve habitat for the pike minnow by releasing more water from Flaming Gorge dam.There was a new plan in place for May-June 2008 to match to runoff from the Yampa with dam releases up to a total of about 18000 cfs. My hunch is that this explains the longer period of high flows this spring. There's some info on this at the Flaming Gorge Bureau of Reclamation website.

Bottomline: Should be lower by the time you get on the river. How much lower, who knows? As others have mentioned, most if not all of the rapids are more straightforward at higher levels and good camping is still available at 20,000+. If it stays high, the bugs shouldn't be quite as bad for your trip. Have a good time.

emptysea44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #32
eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Deso Trip Report

We are back from a 7 day Deso-Gray trip (6/11-17). Flows were 23,400 at put in and dropped to approx 16,000 while we were there. For any who have not been this is an amazing trip with fun water and beautiful scenery. Camp sites were not a problem even with the high flows, there were plenty and almost all were really nice -- sandy beaches and big cottonwoods.
The river was cranking, 4-6 MPH, we did 12-15 mile days typically in 3-4 hours or less; includig hiking and scouting the usual rapids. Rapids were straight foreward, 3 Fords and Coal Creek required a good entrance but after that were fine. It would have been possible to flip but not really a worry if you wre paying attention to what was happening.
Bugs were only a minor nuisance at Sand Wash and on the first river night, we stopped at Flat Canyon but did not camp because it was occupied and buggy. Just below at Dripping Springs we had an nice camp that was bug free.
We did not see any bears or sign of them. Keep a clean camp and store your food appropriately and you should be fine.
If anyone wants more detailed info let me know, I'm happy to provide more beta if desired.

Enjoy the summer, Jim

flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #33
Rafter Town, California
Paddling Since: 08

Jim: Can you message me?? I have a few q's about the trip--we launch very soon!
rafterman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #34
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
We are back from a 7 day Deso-Gray trip...
Glad you had a good trip, Jim. Deso is a cool run and a very special place. I have a permit for 9/22, hope I can use it. It would be my 13th trip.

I suspect you're a bit spoiled running it such high water, though. You haven't really "done" Deso until you've backstroked your boat down the upper flats at 2000cfs, with an upstream wind of 25mph, in 95 degree heat, swatting at horseflies.

BTW, did you see or hear any sign of the oil/gas reclamation up in Nine Mile Canyon? It would have been truck/derrick noise and/or lights on river right in the first twenty miles or so. I'm pretty sure that project has started - haven't heard if any of it is visible or audible from the river.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #35
eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I look foreward to a 'real' deso trip in the future, it's an amazing place. No, we didn't notice any effects of development while we were on the river. But I wasn't really looking for it either.
Hope you have a good trip rowing in the wind, swatting flies and dodging rocks in Sept.

flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #36
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
Hope you have a good trip rowing in the wind, swatting flies and dodging rocks in Sept.

Hey - that's my idea of heaven.

Actually, the bugs are gone by late September, and this year I reckon not too much rock dodging. Beaches should be nice and clean too, after all the high water....

Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote