Old 07-29-2010   #1
Louisville, Colorado
rafting clubs?

A friend and I have been talking about the ridiculous amount of gear we have and/or want, and gear storage. We were batting around the idea of a rafting club that keeps communal gear in a for pay public storage. Member of the club some have some sort of fee structure to pay for the storage and build a gear library for club memeber use. Gear might include rocket boxes, dry boxes, water filtration, dry bags, spare life vests, spare oars, groover vaults and supplies, camp tables and counters etc. Although I imagine it would never include the actual rubber.

Does anyone have any expereince with this kind of set up? Were there contracts? What did the contracts say? What was the fee structure? Was gear loaned first come first serve? Or could you reserve gear for a trip?

Any input is welcome.

catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #2
Golden, Colorado
Cool idea, but try to find an option for storage other than a self storage facility. They are magnets for meth addicts.

Everything I owned except for some furniture was stolen from Apollo Self Storage off of highway 72 in Arvada in the mid 90's. I'll never use self storage again.

They had a guard onsite, fenced in property, cameras, everything. My unit was cleaned out along with half a dozen others.

The cop who responded told me that he would never, ever keep his stuff in a storage unit because they get burglarized ALL THE TIME. A very common occurrence, he said.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #3
I could be interested in joining a club like this if the fees were a good value. I wouldn't let the risk of theft be the thing to end the idea. The club would have to have insurance and obviously find a safe storage facility.
pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote