Old 09-24-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Rafting Cataract in 24 hrs

I am contemplating this idea for next spring. Put on at something like midnight, row through the night to hit the whitewater after day break, then row out.

Am I crazy? Didn't Paul Gamache kayak it in 16 hours in a race boat back in '07? I think he raised over $1,600 for AW - which is awesome. I would think that a lightly loaded cat could keep up a somewhat similar pace.

I am not making any commitments to this idea yet, just contemplating it.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Looks like it's been done in 25 hours at over 50K CFS in a 17 ft cat...

Westwater to Hite 24 hrs, 13 min

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
You can beat the record I know it! Use your guns!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #4
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Sean, I'd be down to plan a trip and run the rapids straight through with you if we could time it right. I hate scouting anyway, especially in Cat where it becomes an eight hour affair. We could use radios, signal flares, pistol fire, and whistles to signal the Brown Betty launch for my boat so you wouldn't have to stop. That way I wouldn't slow you down from the launch. You should launch on the Green and set a new record for that. I think it's prettier that way anyway....

Remind me this Spring and I'll plan a trip accordingly.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #5

I once put in at 4AM in a LL Gus at Potash and paddled hard all day long and got to the confluence just after dark and ran Brown Betty about 1 hour after total darkness. It was March so it got dark earlier, so maybe 15-16 hours to go all the flatwater thru the first rapid in a normal creekboat paddling steady. From there a kayaker could easily make it thru all the rapids in less than 9 hours. A cat at super high water could maybe do it in similar time but not at the 6,000 or so it was at that day. You need either flood stage or an engine.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, rafting