Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-13-2006   #1
Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Rafting blue below take out to green mtn. reservoir with 2yr

Wondering if this is wise, would appreciate any input from someone who has done this section in the last 4-5 days and has info on strainers or other threatening obsticals.
We are comfortable and have taken our two year old down pumphouse for overnighter to give you an idea of hers and our tolerance level for possible trouble.
Not looking for excitement just a nice float and overnight camping.
Any info appreciated.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #2
Paddling Since: 1994
i did the float last year at 800. it is a fast class two affair with some wood to avoid. just kind of busy. there may be one or two threeish sections but nothing big. i dont know that i would take my 2 yr old down it but i am real conservative when it comes to kids. i suppose if there was someone with good raft experience dedicated to holding onto the kid it would work out. biggest hazards are wood moving about, crotchety landowners, and the row out!!!! the lake is pretty full so youll have +/- couple miles of lake to row across if you take out at the ramp on the left at GMR. there are fisherman access points just above the lake but the carry up isnt nice for a raft . oh, and if the wind comes up when you are on the lake, heaven help you. it is a million times worse than pumphouse wind at low water.

zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #3
we may have just run this section

I'm a bit confused by "below take out to Green Mtn Res". Section above Green Mtn. Res. and below class IV? (campground to FR2400) at 800 cfs is fast, almost continous class II to lower III. One bridge with cable after it but can easily be ducked on left of sign near middle. A fair amount of strainers but all were pretty easy to negotiate. I believe whenever there was a split, we stayed to river left as there was wood clogs and other various weirs etc on river right fork. One pretty interesting drop/river wide recirc. (rancher dam) but not a problem to push thru. One abandoned bridge with a very low clearance that we could duck in open boat on the right side. And...almost all private land but we found one very nice friendly spot to have lunch.

This all from oc-1 and 2 perspective. Of course a raft make this kind of water pretty simple. But, the lack of really any pool/drop any real eddies does give this a different flavor if there is some wierd mishap, than pumphouse (at least as it is at typical discharge).

If you are talking of Blue below Green mtn res. (that is below that short run's takeout)--there were quite a few posts a year or 2 ago warning that to be a pretty unfriendly section (just my recollection but I that is starting to wane with age).

danab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #4
Evergreen, Co.
Thanks for the info.
My wife caribiners our child's life vest to hers with a bout 15" of webbing between them which works out in case of a swim.
I am leaning towards not floating this section with the whole family due to the fast moving action you described zbaird and lack of eddies.
Any other ideas of a friendly family float close by the summit county area or further out. Ruby Horsethief is always an option but a little far out.
Old 06-15-2006   #5
Originally Posted by Bryan
Thanks for the info.
My wife caribiners our child's life vest to hers with a bout 15" of webbing between them which works out in case of a swim.
I realize that on the stretches you're talking about the chances of swimming are quite small, but that method seems a little sketchy to me. If both go for a swim, it seems like there is chance of getting that webbing caught on something.
cmsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #6
Evergreen, Co.
Good point.
Any other suggestions
Old 06-15-2006   #7
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd head up to Pumphouse and the upper Colorado, by Kremmling. It's less than an hour away from green mountain resevior, beautiful, and good camp sites along the river. IMO,the best ones are between Radium and Rancho Del Rio.

The river is easy and fun for a family float. I was there last Sunday and had a great time with a bunch of us cavers taking to the water.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I ran that section of the Blue once at higher water and it was totally not worth it. I think of it as highly technical Class I. It was a rock dodge the whole way but no rapids to speak of. There's also a nasty piece of steel just downstream of the Hwy 9 bridge, I think on the right. Camping on that stretch might get you breakfast courtesy of the Sheriff.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have a 2 and 4 year old who love rafting. We don't tether them to anything. On the more boring sections they usually entertain themselves by finding sticks in the water then splash the water with them.

There are many kid friendly trips in the state and in eastern Utah. Some of our favorite include: San Juan, Durango through town, Escalante to Whitewater on the Gunnison, Ruby/Horsethief, Moab Dailey, Green River Dailey and would like to do the Upper Colorado and the Dolores soon.

We just got off of Desolation Canyon last week and it was a great trip for the kids.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #10
Evergreen, Co.
Thanks for the ideas rchristianson..What are your thoughts about the two year old falling in, do you have someone holding him or her.