Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-19-2006   #11
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I talked to someone who was down there earlier this week (III-IV boater, accidentally missed take-out for the Upper Blue). They kayaked about 1/2 a mile down before getting out and walking back up. They said that there was wood/strainers all over the place and it was pretty ugly with some challenging maneuvering. Take this with grain of salt because I was not actually down there and this is second hand reporting, but he said that he would not suggest going down there in any craft. Just thought I'd report this: better safe than sorry.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

In any kind of a real rapid, someone is always holding on to the 2 yr old and the 4 yr old for that matter. Also, you can't really do this on the Blue, but in some of the runs out west, I will swim with one of the kids in the flat water and let them float a little on their own (within easy reach of me) just so they know what to expect if they ever did accidently fall in. My daughter did fall in on a flat water section of the Moab Dailey because she was horsing around. It scared her a little, but it was good experience for her (and we were able to pull her right back in the boat). Make sure the PFD's you have your kids in are appropriate!

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #13
Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
I like the idea of getting them in the water in flat sections.
PFD's are a little tricky for the little ones.
We are using a Stern with extra flotation in back of neck to hopefully allow them to float on back more easily and keep face out of water and of course strap between legs.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #14
Send a message via AIM to mprobst Send a message via MSN to mprobst
I highly recommend floating your kids in a pool or lake with their jackets on. I have two sons, 3 years, and an 18month old. they both wear life jackets with out the pillow behind the head, and have the crotch straps. My sons have been taking swimming lessons from infant swim research since they have been 6 months old. (at 6 months they get taught to roll over and float on back) we found that in the pool if they had the life jackets with the extra flotation pillow thing, they could not roll over onto their backs, it took a little searching to find good kids jackets without the pillow, but they love the multiday class 2 trips we do now, and walk around anything that looks big, or is a long rapid. not saying there is anything wrong with the pillow type lifejacket, just make sure your kid is big enough to roll onto thier back with the pillow and not stuck head down, my 3 year old could probably do it now, but at 12 months old when we first started taking him on the upper Colorado he could not.
mprobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #15
Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Checked out the ISR website and it looks like the way to go for teaching infants and toddlers to swim.
We have had our two year old in swimming lessons at the local REc. center and I am not to impressed with what I have seen when I have gone and watched her lessons.
More of a lesson in not being afraid of water less of this is what you need to do to save yourself etc,..
What type (Name brand) of PFD do you find works best for your kids mprobst
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #16
Send a message via AIM to mprobst Send a message via MSN to mprobst
I am pretty sure the ones we have are from sterns, they have a two into one (?) strap coming under the crotch, attaches in two spots on the front and only one in the back, keeps the straps to the sides, hopefully better for boys. I wil have to check when I get home. The first jackets we used, my wife cut the pillows off and sewed a grap loop type handle on right behind the head, seemed like it would be nice to get them back quick, luckily we never needed them, but we did not think they would pass if they ever got checked by a ranger at the put in since we had modified them.
mprobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #17
C. Springs, Colorado
One thing I made my son wear until he was in his teens was a helmet.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote