Old 04-04-2007   #61
For what it's worth....

We went through a couple of new boats last spring (long story)...the first boat was a 14' Aire Tributary. It was OK, a little sluggish and kind of a wet ride and it really wasn't what we were looking for. Fortunately, we found a good home for it and didn't take too much of a hit on it. We then upgraded to a 13'10" Hyside Outfitter. It is quite a bit better boat (at least in my inexperienced opinion). It's a pretty dry ride, at least sittin' in the DRE Captains Chair. Tracks well and is very manueverable. I may be wrong but I think the outfitter line is heavier denier fabric then the NRS Expidition boats. I agree with Rob about Downriver, the frames are bombproof and the customer service is great. You also might want to talk with Ron at Riverboatworks in Salida, he's got a good gig going on down along the Arkasas. He sells Hysides and Jacks Plastic (I will own a Snubbed DaddyCat someday!) and builds frames.
Can't wait to get on the river...Rob, what are you doing this weekend? It might be my last chance for a while, did the cooler work out OK? Did any water leak thru the tooth holes? Give me a ring.

leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #62
I am kayaker and rafter, but I am leaning more and more toward rafting. Unfortunately for me, my finances won't allow for the 5 grand for a good boat set-up, and I've been skating by on renting and borrowing.

Wondering if anyone on this board would be interested in allowing a fellow rafter to defray the costs of the boat in exchange for three or four weekends this season?

Unlikely, I know, but its tough to get the cash together for a set-up, especially when I don't own a house yet to store it in!

bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #63
You can get a boat and everything for much less than 5 grand if you hunt and with a little luck. I bought an older boat that had a whole new layer put on the floor, was in great shape, with DRE frame, oars, decking for 2,200. All I had to do was go out and buy a cooler and straps and then slowly over the next few years got a dry box etc...... Who needs a house
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #64
Gnarnia, Colorado
Granted it's a bucket boat but you can get the whole package for $1000
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #65
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
jump on that boat! even if its a bucketboat. everyone bailed at one time or another, theres no shame in it at all.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #66
Located here in Clear creek county out of Georgetown!

last year our bunch of rubber & plastic feans got out at least 4 nights a week on clear creek! looking to dupe last season and more if possible!!

keep in touch if you want to go out or learn the river!!!!

we also ran Coors Falls both in raft and kayak last year with lots of safety and some beer & BBQ!(no carnage) would love to get others to join in the insanity!

We stomped it once in a raft!!!

Hyside for sure!!!! 14 Avon is great I may be getting rid of mine as I dont have time for extended trips now and like the "kayak" feel of my 9' Hyside!

Safe Ventures,
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #67
niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
the reason why I decided to sign on

I'm always looking for info as well and this site seems to offer it all. I own around 8-9 boats (I lose track)- 16' raft, a couple hard plastic cats, along with another of the inflatable variety, a sit on top, a ducky and two canoes- one river one lake. Never really had the time to develop the skill required to kayak the stuff I was interested in running. And anyone who will tell you it doesn't require more skill than running a raft is fooling themselves. But I can count as friends some fairly accomplished kayakers and it's always fun to haul their gear and beer. See you on the river.
wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #68
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
From the Denver Post online classifieds, searched under "raft":

"Whitewater rafts, used, 14 and 16', self baling, Hysides, $1500-$1800. Also Vanguard 14' and 16' self baling rafts, $1900-$2300. (623)687-7478"

If these boats are in good shape these could be pretty good deals.

Here's a Vanguard on Craigs List, $2K

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007   #69
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Located here in Clear creek county out of Georgetown!

last year our bunch of rubber & plastic feans got out at least 4 nights a week on clear creek! looking to dupe last season and more if possible!!

keep in touch if you want to go out or learn the river!!!!

Safe Ventures,
I'd love to see how to run Clear Creek sometime. It's on my list for this year. I'll drop you a line when I'm heading over that way.

Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #70
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
A Cat for all seasons

My amigo, Jack (aka Paco) hooked me on catboats, so I'll sing their praises. I like how they handle, running light. I love looking down and seeing the river. (Also, peeing without hanging off the boat.)

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote