Old 07-19-2008   #1
Raft Stolen on I70 - Vangaurd

My good friend had a trailer malfunction heading eastbound near the I 70/ Hwy 6 interchange. Trailer arm sheared off, raft (rubber ony) and trailer ended up in the median. Fortunately no other accidents resulted.

While he was heading east to turnaround at Floyd Hill and come back and assess the situation, some jerkoffs in a red pickup deflated the raft, rolled it up, and hit the road. There was visual and verbal contact with this F'ed up duo. They indicated they were trying to help - and move the raft off the interstate.

Can't believe someone would see this as an oppurtunity for a free raft. Obviously they knew a little bit about boats - with the quick deflating and rolling up of the boat.

Completely unbelievable. Please keep your eyes peeled for some POS with a red truck and a new Vangaurd raft.

whaleballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #2
Gnarnia, Colorado
Roper - who's boat was it?

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 99
Originally Posted by JBL View Post
Roper - who's boat was it?

AC** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #4
Gnarnia, Colorado
More info - the boat stolen was a blue and gray and had no thwarts, frame, oars, etc. It was just the rubber. It was last seen near Kermit's off I-70. If anyone has any info on this boat or sees it, please contact the owner: 303.817.8138. The owner will post the serial number as soon as possible. A police report has been filed so hopefully the boat will be recovered and the dirtbags who took it will be prosecuted.

Please be on the lookout for this raft. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-20-2008   #5
Gnarnia, Colorado
Anybody seen this boat? Thanks for your help.

Pics to come soon.
Old 07-21-2008   #6
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Visual and verbal contact? Did you see them and talk to them from the wrong side of the Hwy? Just curious will keep a look out.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #7
I was on the east bound side of 70 waving my arms and yelling at the group that was carrying off the raft. One of them acknowledged me, pointed at the raft, pointed at me then pointed down the hill as if to say we are going to carry it down this way. There was no verbal contact due to the interstate noise. I immediately ran to my car and drove around to where they were (Kermit's, 33295 US Highway 6 inIdaho Springs). Once I arrived they were nowhere in site. Someone on the bar deck said they saw some guys putting a raft in a red truck. Please keep an eye out for a light blue Vanguard Venture series raft. My guess is that there may be significant scratches around the back end of the boat where it dragged against the hwy. Photos:

.Mac Web Gallery
darkmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #8
Evergreen, Colorado
White Water Raft

seems fishy
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #9
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Just a little fishy, eh? Even if this isn't the boat, it sure sounds like one they don't know much about. holds 2000 lb? who lists that kind of stat for a feature? No brand name? Has webbing? WTF?
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #10
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd jump on checkng that one out. As for the "holds 2000 lbs" business, in my 14' VG, there's a little tag in the front of the boat plainly listing the capacity by the weight it'll float (1300 kg for the 14'). The dirtbags may just not know how to convert kg to lbs.

Any time someone says something like "Has a value of 1500.00 in good condition selling for 250.00 or best offer" you gotta wonder what they're up to. If its got a value of $1500 and they're taking that kind of "loss" on it, its too good to be true.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote