Old 04-11-2014   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979

You want a shade that is oriented to the same axis as your boat. Be it a power boat, raft or sailboat, there are Bimini's manufactured for every one. You can find it on craigs list for $100 used, Usually, someone with a nice powerboat replaces one, and sells the used. Or do an internet search. One company, "Colorado Sombraros." They are all about 8' wide, and will take 40 mph on the nose. You don't want to waste money on an umbrella on a single mast that will certainly fail.

catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #12

Catsailor hits on something that was a main point for me going bimini instead of umbrella design.

Biminis are very wind-resistant, along with being pretty resilient in waves -- as my picture illustrated. And that's a real advantage, along with the fact they fold down in about 30 seconds by unfastening just two clips. And they go back up just that fast. When you need to row into a head wind, you're going to drop it anyway -- just as you would an umbrella. But for side and tail winds (huh?) you don't have to worry about it.

The real downside to all these is the way they obscure the view to some degree. As much as I love the shade, I don't like not being able to see the full vista of the river. And objectively, umbrella-style shade devices are a bit better in that regard.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #13
Great Falls, Montana
Just got my RS, was fairly easy to put together and mount. I can't wait to try it out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140412_134025.png
Views:	478
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	8114
GreenTongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
I have one on my ski-boat. It is good to 40 mph. The River Sombrero is awesome too, I have one on my Leopard. A Bimini has six points of attachment. It is shaped like an airfoil. I work by the water in a boat rental capacity, and have seen every model of parasol ever made destroyed by wind. On our beach, we get a big, sudden downdraft from a t-storm, and all the nice umbrellas people bought go in the garbage. The umbrella is a cantilevered assembly with at least a hundred parts. The wind can swoop up under it, and all that engineering gets a reverse stress on it , game over. A Bimini is a flat, aero construction of tubing and cloth, with multiple anchor points, specifically adapted to boats. It will last a hundred trips at least.
Old 04-12-2014   #15
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Although I too believe Biminis are far superior to umbrellas, the PO is for a rental boat with PRO. I don't see anyone investing in a Bimini to fit a rental boat.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014   #16

TriBri1 has a sort of a point, but it's not hard to move a bimini from one boat to another. For what's being talked about here, maybe borrowing one and doing a temporary mount is worth considering.

I've seen people bolt the factory brackets to a block of wood and strap the block to the raft on top of the tubes or their side deck. To make it so I could move mine from boat to boat, I made some mounting brackets from PVC that fit over the frame tube and clamp tight with hose clamps. Then I made some matching PVC fittings that the bimini tubes could bolt into, or could mount a pipe that the bimini tubes slide down into and extend it a bit. (I wanted to raise my bimini, so I went with the extenders.) Those pieces drop down in the fittings that are clamped to the frame.

(The picture of it fully installed actually shows an earlier version where I tried raising the bimini with longer PVC pieces. But I didn't like the leverage on the fittings from having the attachment point so high, so I reverted to lower fittings and an aluminum extension tube.)

In use, you install the base fittings, slide in the upper PVC pieces, drop your bimini legs in the tubes, clip the four front and back straps, and you're done. Removal is just as fast.

I keep telling myself I should break down an re-do these pieces in something more durable than PVC, but they've been in use for 8-10 years and are still going strong.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bimini MOunt (4).JPG
Views:	383
Size:	989.5 KB
ID:	8125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini MOunt (3).JPG
Views:	419
Size:	999.2 KB
ID:	8126  

Name:	DSCN2958.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	8127  
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #17
C. Springs, Colorado
Here is a cheap yet bomber set up I made and use regularly. The red and black umbrella is about ten years old and a little holey at this point. This rig has seen hundreds of river miles and works great in wind and on the grand canyon. I've loaned it out a few times for that trip. It might be ugly, but function before beauty.....and the cost was right.

You do need to use what is called a golf umbrella that will let strong winds blow through it without collapsing it. You can see the yellow webbing sticking out from the flaps on the black umbrella. These are the wind flaps that let the air through. I've seen these at Wally World and I found mine as Sam's, they seem to show up for sale there every spring.

The tubing I used is 2 1/2" and I cut it to my height, or approx 6'. I glued the two end pieces into the "T", but I didn't glue the main pole so I can break it down to store and transport it easy. It is also handy to take it apart if the umbrella slides too far into it. You want a nice tight fit on the umbrella so this won't happen. My first one was 2 1/4" pipe, but it's just too tight for the umbrellas I'm using.

The bungee cords at the top are it's key to success. When a big gust comes up, it holds it in place till you can collapse it down. Then you just store it in the tube till you need it next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	umbrella pictures 001.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	1,008.8 KB
ID:	8135   Click image for larger version

Name:	umbrella pictures 002.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	823.9 KB
ID:	8136  

Name:	umbrella pictures 003.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	8137  
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014   #18
Cle Elum, Washington
Paddling Since: 1972
I just put some umbrellas on?

Fishnfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #19
Salt Lake City, Utah

That's cool! I don't think anything but a custom bimini would look right on a dory. I race F-18 catamarans, a fantastic boat that is all about going as fast and hard as you can go. Everything about it is specially engineered. Thats why I appreciate the bimini. It is purposely designed for boating. It's nylon and aluminum, and shaped like a sail. And it goes down quick. Maybe this is specific to Utah, but I have experienced 60-70 mph downdrafts off thunderstorms with no warning. People say that if a wave or the wind takes out something on a boat, it was not meant to be there. Biminis evolved out of that arena and are the temperary shade structure used on power and sailboats worldwide.

P.S., I operate a boat rental, sales and sail lessons operation on an alpine lake in Utah. I like good gear that is optimized for it's application!
Old 04-29-2014   #20
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
how tall is your bimini, as in height above the tubes?

ajacobo is offline   Reply With Quote