RAFT Recommendations - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-28-2016   #1

Creede, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
RAFT Recommendations

My family is new to S CO and we are looking for recommendations on a quality raft for a family of six.
We will likely do day trips, occasional overnight camp 2-3 nights and light fishing.
I've canoed and kayaked my whole life, but am new to rafting.
THanks for any advice,
jw

jwcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
First thought was a 16 ft may be tight but should work

However you would definitely be more comfortable in an 18 ft. You can't go wrong with Avon, AIRE, Hyside, Maravia, NRS, SOTAR.
JPW is quality and in your neck of the woods but idk if they make 18 ft rafts.

You're looking at well over 10K to get everything you need new. You may be able to find a GC worthy used rig for around 5K - and from now to early march ''tis the season to find a good deal.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #3

Golden, Colorado
Looks like cschmidt and I posted the same time but....

Well don't get anything shorter than 16ft, for sure.

Probably 18ft be best for all those people and gear.

Always buy for it's largest task. So six people out for several days. That's a damn big load for one raft on a multi day.

I'd get a Hyside Pro but the sticker price on the window might make you cry...or not.

You might want to state your budget so you don't get a bunch of useless suggestions too.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #4

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
If you got another semi competent rower (or someone with potential) you might consider 2 smaller rafts over a larger raft. Would be more money sure but you got some built in redundancy for safety and a smaller raft if only half your family wants to come out some days; lugging an 18' raft with 3 people is a tall order. A 14-15 not as much

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 11-28-2016   #5

north little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyCatr View Post
If you got another semi competent rower (or someone with potential) you might consider 2 smaller rafts over a larger raft. Would be more money sure but you got some built in redundancy for safety and a smaller raft if only half your family wants to come out some days; lugging an 18' raft with 3 people is a tall order. A 14-15 not as much

I have no boat recommendations but will say if you decide to do this The Boat People will give you a significant discount for purchasing more than one boat.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #6

Denver, Colorado
Augmenting a raft with one or more IKs is something I've thought about as kids get older and more independent. Seems like 18 is pretty big for a lot of CO rivers. I'm new to it all with a family of four and a 14er, and thinking of ways to stretch the boat for longer (now hypothetical) trips. Cheers.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #7

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeyCatr View Post

I 2nd that thought. Depending on ages of family members one could be paddle raft and one gear boat
Old 11-28-2016   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
An 18 is big, but it's not "too big" for CO. It will be much roomier for the whole family. Sure you will want a trailer you can sink, but you will want that for a loaded 15 or 16 too (unless your family is chock full of big/burly athlete types)

I do like the idea of a raft (15/16) plus a ducky or 2. Another good option like bighorn said would be a paddle raft and an oar rig. You could get a 10.5-12 and a 14/15 that way.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #9

Creede, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks for all the feedback. I really like the NRS E160, but after all accessories I may go another route. My family is young, no burly athletes, however my 5 yo just did 11 push-ups with good form. Any more advice is appreciated!!
Thanks again everyone,
jw
jwcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
18 foot marivia bucket boat in grand junction at the consignment store called the gear junction for 750
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote