Old 06-12-2007   #11
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
I used my air mattress inflator (wal-mart) the other day off my car's cigarette lighter and then topped off. Makes it really easy.

randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #12
newport bech, California
Paddling Since: 1978
raft pumps

I like my carlson 4" its small enough to not be in the way but has enough power to get my raft inflated quicly.

syncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The wonder pump is a great back up - but a killer for actual inflating. Look around at places like the Sports Recycler and craigslist and you might score a deal on a real pump - I got my 4" barrel pump for $30. If your new raft is going to go out more than a few times a year you will really want either a electric plus a wonder or a real barrel pump - all of the previous posters suggestions are on the mark. Personally I have no idea why two pieces of pvc pipe, a hose, a valve and a o-ring add up to $180.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #14
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
pumps for bad backs

If you've got a bad back, get a foot pump. I got one (from Cascade, I think) a few years ago that's really big, with plywood shells and raft fabric bellows, that's really quick. It inflates a cat tube faster than an electric LVM (and you don't have to endure the vicious whine). Bad news: no brand name on it, not in their current catalog.

For inflating smaller boats and top-off on the river, I use a Bravo 2 foot pump (NRS, $30) that I've had since 1995. The bellows fabric wore out, so I took it apart and put a patch on the inside. It's more compact than the Wonder Pumps (had oneľ rough on the lower back) or other barrel types, and the hose is much more durable.

Give it a goľ I think you'll be happy.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote