Old 05-12-2016   #21
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Originally Posted by azpowell View Post
same exact construction process, slightly different material, yes its made outside of USA, but a puma is anywhere from $3400-$4350 depending on what size (puma, super puma, or super duper puma) whereas for tributary you are looking $2250-$2800 for 12, 13, and 14 foot boats... so essentially for the price of a puma or super puma one could buy a 12 footer, frame and oars....

i would have no problem saying the new "hd" material is sturdier than the aire material that my cat is made from... but the 10 year no fault warranty is nice but is it $1000 nice?
1000$ insurance for 10 years. 100$ a year. Worth it. I've seen a few worn out tribs. I've also seen some old ass Pumas still in service.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016   #22
SeaTown, NW
i had the 13' fot hd trib and my superpuma blows it out of the water

nastysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #23
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
If you consider a cat, plan on adding 2 feet to the equivalent raft. 12' raft = 14' cat.

Rigging a cat is really not that much more difficult than a raft, even with all the extra straps. The main benefit for a cat is pieces that you can move by yourself. tubes at 40lbs each and frames that can break down if needed.

For most things though, a raft is simpler.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #24
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I just ordered a new cat package out of Oregon and am also partners in a Super puma that is now 12 years old. We are like the 3rd owners and it keeps on going. It can get sideways on you though.

It came with a DRE frame and those high seats blow for big water it always wants to pitch you out of the boat and you slip all over on the mesh. The frame guys I bought my cat from walked me through that and I finally realized what was going on. The old owner must have been fishing it or something.

So if I get into a new place with a garage I may order a new super puma and have a custom frame built for it. The boat is a blast, just don't be scared to swim if you run one through big holes. Fishing is probably no worries.

TrevH is offline   Reply With Quote