Raft motor mount
I just built a new motor mount last month for my 16' NRS raft, to use on our Cat trip. Just got back, and big drops were crazy. Flipped in Big drop, and the engine was under water for about an hour. I could not believe we got the engine running again. Pulled spark plugs, and drained the carb. Fuel stayed clean. It started right up. The mount and rear rail worked great! I thought I would share since the Forums helped me with design and build ideas. I had just bought a Tig welder, and was ready for a project. I started the design with a transom for a mount that connects to the new rear section with pins. Each part is removable with pin and allen wrench. After a failed test on the lake I changed the design to a fixed motor mount. One that is closer to the the rubber and adjustable with bolts. I have add both photos so you may see the change. I felt the engine (10hp/ 4 stroke/ 100lbs/long shaft) was to heavy for the way the transom works. When I lowered the engine the transom, the motor falls away from the the frame about 16" and puts a lot of torque on the rubber tubes. The tubes and floor of the raft would flex and create a lot of drag when the engine is throttled up. I would recommend a smaller engine when using a transom. Like a 4.5 hp 2-stroke, short shaft. After the poor results with the transom, I built a fix motor mount set to the correct height for my engine, and then using the tilt feature on the engine to raise and lower the motor. This gave fantastic results and if needed the ability to even use a larger motor just for fun, or running Cataract with the engine. The new back decking was a lot of work (way to much for a 1st project), but was sweet, and worth it when walking around my gear and tying things off. We averaged 8mph pushing 3 rafts with the 10hp engine. I hope this helps any future motor mount builds.