Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 06-29-2013   #11
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Don't refer to the boat driver as a guide. This raises problems with the rules governing your permit.

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #12
Spokane, Washington
Low Water

EZCRUZR - Thanks for your post. We will consider this carefully. We have already discussed two days of kayak self support and meeting the rafts at Indian Creek. The only other Middle Fork trip I did in 2007, we flew everything in. Unfortunate to miss the top 25 miles, but we still had a great trip with 24 people.

jrdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #13
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Didn't mean to sound negative, just practical based on your group size of 12 kayaks & 2-3 rafts. If you end up with only two rafts, I'd definitely think about going light from the top, and flying heavy stuff in to Indian Creek. If you go with three rafts for 15 people just be ready to work a bit harder the first two days. Good luck with the trip no matter what.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #14
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by jrdavey View Post
I appreciate the positive responses, and Okieboater, especially the time and thought you put into your post. I guess I am not aware of any friction between rafters and kayakers, as my family respects and gets along with everybody, whether they are a rafter, kayaker, plumber, or lawyer. Nevertheless, a simple phone call to me would answer all of these questions, as opposed to me detailing everything in a long post.

Six of the eight kayakers are my family members. The other two kayakers are family friends and expert boaters in their late thirties. No one in the country works as hard as this group, or would be more considerate to a trip member outside of our group who, as far as I'm concerned, would become part of our family. We leave every campsite in better condition than we found it. There is a proper way to conduct yourself on the river, and we do it.

I'm a little surprised to run across this negativity as a result of my simple and genuine invitation. Our priorities for this trip are safety, fun, and making sure everyone has the best experience possible.

I understand this is short notice. If we don't find someone, we will still have a great trip with three rafts and ten people. If we can find a guide with more experience than our existing boatmen, fantastic. If someone has the time and desire to share this unique Middle Fork experience with some super nice and hardworking folks, please call me.
This certainly sounds a lot better. I still don't have a clear idea of how many people you want to go down the river. If I was considering contacting you I would like to know I was going with someone who knows what they need.

The art of putting together great private trips is matching expectations with outcomes. And communication. I am really trying to help you here and to clarify what you need.

It now sounds like you may have the three rafts but only 10 people????

I am sure you are as genuine as you say, but may not have experience filling an opening at the last minute. You likely will. Just make sure everyone knows what they are getting into.

I also think it is likely you will have more than two feet and it only gets ugly below that. All depends on the boatman I suppose.

Good luck.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote