Old 05-21-2014   #21
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Here's a picture of mine. I should have said a tyvek like material, as I have no idea what it really is. It just reminds me of tyvek. One thing I like better about this cover over the tarp, is that water seems to evaporate quicker from it than the tarp. The tarp becomes a lake and stays a lake. The car cover is a lake for a little while, then evaporates. We had a horrendous dust storm several weeks ago. It made of huge mess of everything. The fine dust did blow through the car cover a bit. I shudder to think what the raft would have looked like with no cover.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #22
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Awalsten View Post
Wet Dreams
Wet Dreams Sewing and River Supply NOW OPEN!!! 3780 N. Eagle Mountain Dr. Flagstaff, AZ 86004 928-864-7091. From south San Francisco Street drive ...
They make anything!
We met the owner/operator on the Chama a couple years ago. His products looked good, and he was a very nice guy.

yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #23
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In the raft specific covers, theBoatPeople have some.
Raft Accessories
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #24
Custom Whitewater Equipme
Central Point, Oregon
We can make them too. Its already been said but they take a lot of material and a lot of time to make so that means they are not cheep. I make ours come down the tubes pretty far so when you tighten the draw string in the hem is secures it very well and you don't have to spend time messing with bungee cords. I would not recommend driving with the cover as I would be afraid that it would shred your beautiful new and expensive tarp. The material I use has a 5yr UV warranty but typically last significantly longer. Contact me directly as if you have any question or I can help you with this or any other projects.
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #25
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Raft Covers

I have a Whitewater Designs cover for my 15' Otter that easily covers the entire boat and frame - including the stern seat.

By virtue of our situation, my boat lives outside - inflated and on a trailer - year round here in SW Montana.

This cover works very, very well. It has elastic through the edges to grip around the bottom of the boat. It also has loops at both ends that allow for cinching the cover to the boat. Excellent UV protection.

I've been using it for 5 straight years, and it is still in excellent condition. Bought it from Cascade Outfitters. Couldn't be happier with it!!

Downside: It was quite expensive - almost $400. On the other hand, if you have $6000-8000 invested in a boat... might be a worthwhile investment.

Not trying to sell anything..... I've just been happy with it.
Jaxmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014   #26
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Tuff river stuff. Salida, Co. Always keep some spare loonies around to put on oarlocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Skikbum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014   #27
brock, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 94
it may not be what you are looking for, but l use a shade cloth tarp, if keeps harmful uv rays off but lets air flow freely. easily found for under $100, there are several companies who make custom shapes and sizes. they are pretty indestructible. l throw the raft on the trailer, gear in the raft then strap it all down with the tarp(got the heavier version, same material truckers use to secure loads on open trailers. happy hunting...
watauga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014   #28
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by psu96 View Post
Do you leave the frame off? Just wondering as I tried this and the oar locks tear a hole in the tarp...
I have the NRS Oar mounts, I just loosen the nuts and fold them down against the tubes with a rag between the mount and the tube so it doesn't leave aluminum marks. but if you don't have removable oar mounts, you're probably stuck with those things tearing in to the tarp, you might be best to get a car canopy to park under.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote