Old 01-10-2014   #21
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
I would pass on a black boat. The first year I ever kayaked the Grand, I paddled a black Corsica Matrix. It was so hot the plastic was soft enough I could push an indention in it w/ just one finger. I left my PFD clipped to the kayak. I had a thermometer clipped to the pfd, the thermometer was laying on the boat, it was broken after a 30 stop. Good for PNW and ALK. I have an Aire cat, yellow. I love it. Other boaters w/ darker colors need to worry about letting air out before a hike ect.

liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #22
TV, Idaho
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
There's a long running thread about Sotar SL rafts. There's someone with a new raft that's very much like your choice #1 except gray & red. Both designs look really fun & original. I personally like choice # 2 .....The Tiger Boat! But maybe add a couple more stripes?

My 14SL will arrive in March. I went with red body & floor, black frame chafe, black d-rings. Since I'll never use this as a paddle raft, I figured the black frame chafe wasn't a big deal.
Thanks, cataraftgirl. That boat was my inspiration for the layout on that first pic. I know I want at least the bow and stern to be as bright colored as possible. I want them to be like a bright flag that says, "jet boaters, there's someone else on the river. You might need to think ahead!"

If I use any black, I think I'll just keep it to a minimum. This will be a fishing boat but also a family boat. I want my kids to be comfortable in it. I was also thinking about the 3 boats that I have spent the most time in. Two are light blue and one is dark green. It does seem like the dark green one needs more attention to the air pressure.

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #23
Orange, California
Paddling Since: 2013
Wow, I'm flattered, maybe I should startup a boat design company ! Here's another photo to help with figuring out your sketched choices.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010081.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	7540  

GoRiverGo is offline   Reply With Quote