Old 08-08-2007   #21
e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am a little hung over from vegas, but here it goes. Mikey, business did suffer a little, esspecially here in happy valley because the concierge got scared to send anyone over there from the bad press. Video safety talks are a good start to a trip but a lot of people zone out even more than when someone is looking them directly in the eye, asking them questions and keeping them focused. I have tryed to stress with my talks two things: interaction with the guests, and self rescue. If you interact with them, they get a lot more out if it. IF you stress self rescue peoples reaction time is signifigantly reduced when they hit the water. Just my $.02.

P.S. I heart Mike Mather...

liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007   #22
Cactus Jack
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hi Jed,
You are so correct. The safety training for guides has improved dramaticly over the years. I helped train you in the mid 80's. We did swift water rescue when it wasn't done by many companies. We used to give swim test to clients when we questioned there ability for certain sections of the river, you followed me on more then a few occasions as a safety oar rigged raft on the numbers. Commecial river companies have to raise the bar on training that is a for sure. we had strict age limits for certan parts of the river. If memory serves me 18 for the Gorge or Numbers 14 to paddle in Browns.I know i'm old school because that's when oar boats were still an alternative to going down the river. Take care Jed and give my best to your dad Ted.
Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules