Old 10-16-2014   #1
Windsor, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Question on Loading a Cat for the Grand

I will have my first opportunity to float the Grand next summer and have a question on rigging my cat for the trip. I will be running a 15' x 24" tube Sotar Legend with a NRS 72" cat frame next June. The trip is set with gear boats, so effectively I have the opportunity to run very light. I understand the more beer options, but really my question is focused on whether or not you are better running light or do you need the weight to punch holes / waves?

Thanks for the feedback.

JeffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I tend to prefer to be light, to have more fun playing. I took my 12.5' legend down in 2012 and had a blast, hit every big feature. It depends on you as a boater, heck we had an 11' legend on our trip too.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #3
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
With 24" tubes and the shorter waterline of the tube design you will want to be light but will end up being heavy. You dont want that cat frame floor dragging on the water surface. Lucky for you to have someone else to carry your heavy share of the gear.
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #4
cedar city, Utah
Row what you know and use most often. The reality is the Grand is 200+ miles long and will provide ample opportunity to test the pros and cons of either setup.

If there are "gear boats" and you are going light...offer to swap them out every now and again. Rowing a pig for 18+ days takes its toll on most average mortals and being spelled out goes a long way to group dynamics when rowing a light craft.

Have a great first trip...its a life changer.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #5
Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
Go light.
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #6
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
hit every big feature.
Ledge Hole in Lava? Land of the Giants in Hance? 209? Meat of Crystal?

That a pretty big brag "every big feature". So when you saw a hole you just paddled right in? When your group scouted and identified features to avoid you just said f-that and went for it?
Jamie D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #7
Summit/SLC, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The ID cat expert is no mere mortal, she more than likely surfed the ledge hole. Haven't you noticed she is the baddest boater on the buzz? Mention Class V and she'll respond with a bunch of anecdotal and self promoting evidence.

In 09 I rowed a light cat down the canyon (my younger trip mates gave my old bones a break) and was surprised at how much I tossed around. Of course I'm not from ID and don't have a Sotar.
headtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Wow guys. I thought Laura's response was pretty insightful. She addressed the question well. I really don't think every word needs to be taken literally. I figured her to mean she hit the big features that are relatively reasonable to hit. Lot of boaters try and sneak everything. I am thinking "sour grapes". Also, pretty sure it's Mt. Rather than Id.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #9
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Besides. I am the Baddest boater out there. 😃

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014   #10
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Go with a lightly/ reasonably loaded, maneuverable boat if that is what you are comfortable with. My first trip was a real learning experience, setting up early and living with the consequences. 18' gear boats are slow to react. $.02

The ability to ferry around some features would have been very welcome!!

And yes I have seen the bottom of the ledge hole at Lava. Yuck

Have a great trip !

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mrett is offline   Reply With Quote