Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 10-06-2014   #31
Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
[QUOTE=jademann;378783]fdon, I am new here and so when you said to go find out about the Verde route I did and put the link in my post for my own later use. apologies you took it wrong way.

OK Jademann, I came on a little strong cause I was thinking you could be a troll or just another run-of-the-mill idiot who might jeopardize others. Just your continuing in the conversation after the rough handling pretty much tells me that you are sincere. My apologies.

Look, you can do day runs close to Phoenix that are not too hard. Tell us about your boat. Do you own or are you planning to rent? There are a couple of places in town that own rental stables that are very easy to deal with. One in Tempe even will guide you for a price.

Share what you want to do and when you want to do it and with what craft and you will find the Buzz to be a marvelous resource of highly qualified boaters with a solid knowledge of equipment who are most willing to help you out.

fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #32
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
What's the big deal? Just bring a lighter and a clif bar and you'll be fine.

Preston H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #33
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by jademann View Post
I was thinking about a day trip in our Van from Phoenix with my 18 year old son and I, where we enter the Colorado river in a raft at Pearce Ferry and exit at South Cove about 18 miles downstream. I estimate it would take about 7 hours. (2-3 mph)

I just wondered are there any issues for taking a van here? and if there is any reason why such a trip is inadvisable? There is some white water at Pierce Ferry rapids, but it doesn't look so bad compared to Ocean Kayaking I have done. Looks fun and relatively easy?
I'd like to suggest you take a look at Lake Powell. I was just there and we were camped around Bullfrog. We saw at least a dozen or so sea kayaks camping on the lake and exploring it's side canyons. The place is crazy beautiful.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #34
phoenix, Arizona
Thanks everyone for suggestions. No worries fdon.

To be honest I consider boatless at the moment, my inflatable is borderline serviceable and my kayak is for the ocean and not stable at best of times so I am going to need a fully inflatable raft I think. I just saw your post caverdan, thanks!

What kind of budget craft do you recommend for some of the easier rivers around phoenix? Assuming they have water!

Thanks to youtube videos I am certain that the Diamond creek run is NOT something I would do alone without doing it with a group first. Does anyone here put together groups who share costs for runs like this?
jademann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #35
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
It could look like this

mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #36
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by mdignan View Post
I saw the line I'd take in the video but it'll require good hiking boots and getting a lot of dust on your feet....

Jademann, Welcome to the Buzz and congratulations for hanging in this long. If you're interested in running whitewater and are boatless, you will likely want a self-bailing raft & possibly an oar frame and a few other goodies to go along. Check out the MB sponsors up under the "Partners" tab and you'll find lots of great raft dealers and manufacturers listed there. And if you're in the market for used gear, don't forget the MB gear swap as well - there are usually plenty of good deals there. If you're interested in doing your own river trips, stick around and read what folks are saying, keep an eye out for members in your area and there may be someone willing to have you along or point you in the right direction if nothing else. Read up on the rafting commandments for some good things to know if you're joining a private trip; you'll notice some common threads have emerged.

Before posting a basic question, please remember to try the search function first - there's a wealth of great info on the Buzz and you'll find entire discussions on newbie topics right at your fingertips.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014   #37
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Northern Arizona university runs the verde and the diamond down and they take non-students. Not cheap but worth it to go rafting in Grand Canyon and learn a lot too. If you're interested in a great father son canoe trip, someone had mentioned black canyon below Hoover dam. I used to guide there as well. Call black canyon/willow beach river adventures for permit and shuttle. Pm me if you want and my cousin who lives in Vegas and also guides down there might run shuttle for you for cheaper than the company
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #38
Flagstaff, Arizona
Yes, you can drive your van to the Colorado River at Pearce Ferry. Lake Mead does not allow put ins here. They were supposed to re-visit that policy years ago and have not yet. We wrote them to reconsider, You can too. Till then, the way the Pearce to South Cove run works is you have to hike your kayak or inflatable raft downstream from the ramp to the base of Pearce Ferry Rapid, about 1/2 mile. The run from below the Pearce Ferry rapid (almost a fall at this time) takes most of a day. There is one other nick point rapid at this time at Devils Cove, with an easy portage on the right if you are nervous about it. The last two miles is flatwater lake paddling, brutal if the afternoon winds have picked up. There are areal photos of the journey taken mid last month here Lake Mead Rapids September 15, 2014 -
You will want to wear a life jacket at all times when you are on the water. Once you get to South Cove, your Van will be about 7 miles away. I have biked it after leaving my bicycle at South, and have hitched it. Yours, tom

Tom Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014   #39
phoenix, Arizona
Thanks Tom, will do.

Thanks amv, this trip is a year away. Only considering rafting now.

mdig, looks hard dangerous and fun! I have been watching craft go over that. I was hoping to get a smaller raft though.

Tom, my wife is willing to drive our van to pick us up. Thanks that might be a solution to put an inflatable raft in half a mile down just below the Pearce rapid. I wouldn't want to break any law though, and it seems like the intent might be to not have be people entering around here, I don't know why?? I think I would interested in doing this, and as you say I could bypass devils cove rapid. I always where life jacket, always. I will review the photos. It sounds like it would be a great day long trip.
jademann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014   #40
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Hi Jademann, I'm up in Flagstaff and run the Verde all of the time but mostly do the stretch above what's been mentioned above, Beasley to Gap or Childs. I run a float stretch from White Bridge or Clear Creek to Beasley. This is just easy Class II boating with small ripples. When water is higher and more pushy in the Spring there is more danger from the trees along the bank. This stretch is ideal for inflatable kayaks, kayaks or canoes and is typically not consistently wide or deep enough for a raft.

The day run on the Upper Salt is great for rafts, kayaks or IK's and is rated Class III but is only running in the spring with snow melt.

The day run on the Colorado in Moab is a great Class II-III trip for rafts, kayaks or IK's.

The San Juan River beginning at Bluff, Utah is a beautiful 3 to 8 day Class II-III trip but requires a permit throughout the year.

If you want to hit the Verde some Saturday let me know.

followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote