Old 07-12-2005   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Q's about rafting the Poudre at 2.5'

A (non-boating) buddy has friend's in for a wedding this weekend. I've offered to take them on the Poudre to go rafting thursday. Is it too low to take a 16' raft through? Thinking upper mish through Pineview or bridges. We would paddle as opposed to rowing. ANyone have advice or think we need smaller boats? I have an aire 156 which is just shy of 16', but more in line width wise with a 14er. I have access to another Riken 16, which I think is probably too wide. I was planning to rent a 14 and use my 156. Is that a viable plan at this level?

WHat are river temps up to. I was thinking we would not have wetsuits. IS that appropriate? Also, I usually kayak or row on float trip. I don't have alot of experience paddling rafts. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks, Dave

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've been told it is too low to be any fun now. WHat is it on the rock? I haven't gotten a rock report since sunday's. Any rafters care to comment on the level and what section might suck the least?

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #3
the fort, Colorado
bridges looks a little low for a raft, but i dont know i just kayak
prozoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #4
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993

I was up this weekend paddled, lower mish through bridges sat. and lower rustic on sunday. The rock was just under 3' then and I was in my little stinger so I had plenty of room.

As far as the 16' would go you would fit down at 3' maybe a little tight in a couple places down in bridges but not bad. I am not very familiar with the run so I don't know any names sorry.

The water is plenty warm you guys wouldn't need wetsuits.

The commercials where all running 14' and it didn't appear that they even owned anything smaller.

Now this is just my opinion but if you are looking for a real exciting run for your crew the poudre doesn't really have that much going on as far as big and splashy, you might be better off heading over to shoshone or the arkansas.

Hope this helps

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The Poudre at 2.5

The Poudre is quite runnable in a raft down to about 1' - it all depands on how much scrapping you want to do. I have run commercial trips at .8'. Most of the companies run 14' boats but some have 12' boats. The key to lower water runs is a light boat so you can float over shallow rocks. A 16' boat with a light load will be fine at 2.5' - a couple of moves will be a little tight - the run is definetly more technical with a 16' boat. The bridges section is the easiest place for low water - except maybe the filter plant section - but there is really only one rapid on that stretch. At low water we will only run the bridges section because we get stuck too often on the higher up sections (upper mish, lower mish, poudre park).
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005   #6
Lower Mish looked really boney this weekend. I don't think I'd want to run it in a raft.

KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote