Old 03-04-2015   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
Really? I've never seen one. I have a bright green Aire and a rafting buddy has a much darker green Maravia, and his boat gets too hot to touch it when in the full sun (it doesn't always rain here, especially on the east side). I can only imagine that a black raft would be much worse. I'm sure they look pretty badass though, just like the OP's boat would look with a black frame. Just don't touch it with the back of your leg when your rowing!
I guess some of the Wing boats are black for night ops for Navy Seals. We had an old Firestone for a sweep boat that was black. Holy shit. You could fry eggs on that thing.

Randaddy - if he gets a black frame I will pay you to put exposed skin on it after it's been sitting out in the sun for a couple of hours. Unless you were trolling.....maybe you got me. You'll need the money so you can have the third degree burns treated and have an awesome story.....

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #12
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Just saying, one company has been pushing their black boats pretty heavily lately...

Not that I'd want a black boat... I agree with all the posts about black being hot.

On the oars though I've seen shit loads of black oars... their on most of the boats I see on the river, including my spares. I bought yellow ones for my primary oars, so I could see them if they went their separate way.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #13
Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Black oars are dumb - you will lose them...

Seriously how are you people loosing oars? Put a tether on them and they will never go anywhere even if they do pop loose from an un-tuned oarlock. Plus you know what they say, once you go black you never go back! My girlfriend loves my big black ... oars. As far as powdercoating I have a powdercoated frame and I generally like it. However, don't expect a powdercoat to keep from getting those gray aluminum rub marks on your boat because you will still get them with the powdercoating.
When you spend your life in the rain, you learn to walk between the drops.
6FEETandRISING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #14
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #15
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I don't think a black frame would be a big deal. People run black rafts. It's not enough surface area to make a huge difference I bet. Plus homeboy lives in Oregon.

Do the black frame with blue boxes - you'll have the best looking rig on the water!

Black oars are dumb - you will lose them...
Most of our overnight trip rivers are in the sunny parts of the state (Rogue, Deschuttes, John Day, etc) These areas get way more sun than the Sandy, Clack, or Santiam. I don't think a black frame would work well, but I bet if you called some manufacturers you could find out if anybody has done it, and what the results were.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #16
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I ordered and used a tan yeti a few years ago. Big mistake. It sucked multiple gulps of hairy balls. The lid warped, the ice vanished at an astonishing rate. It kinda looked good with my tan Sotar though. I took a few pics and sent them to yeti, they sent me a new white 125 to replace the 120 tan, no charge after three years.

My d-rings are black, but nothing else on my boat is...don't do it, you will regret a black frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
I have a black cat and a black frame and don't mind it at all. Love the look but don't expect it to age as well as most others colors. It's a Sotar legend with blue chafe strip, cones and d rings patches. Black powder coated madcatr frame. I don't ever sit on any part of the boat nor come in contact with it that much at all so no issue there. The frame temp has never bothered me but the diameter is smaller than most and once again its a cat so no sitting on the tubes. I would never get a black raft but don't see a black frame being a big issue but as others suggested I would go with some shade of gray. Black shows scratches more than any other color so I probably won't do it again but it does look great and function fine- as a cat frame. I like that the black tubes attract sun and stay taught. Legends take high PSI to perform well. I forget what Sotar recommended but its surprisingly high and the black helps.
Dilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #18
NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Been on nothing but black powder coating and it doesn't get that hot, even on the Upper Klamath in 100+. If it gets hot, splash some water on it...

Also, you will never lose any color oar if you leash it properly.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #19
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
ditto on leashing your oars. I have black and no regrets. But shit happens and if you don't leash them go brighter, you won't regret it.
Dilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015   #20
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Pink, yea diffenately pink. Or orange. Orange is the new pink and it looks good with blue

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote