Old 07-15-2014   #31
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Wow you guys need lives. I think his point is support the local shop or you won't have one.

Having a good local shop is worth a little extra in the long run.

I bet you guys go try it on and finger f-it at the local shop and then order it online.
nah, I've given cascade outfitters tons of money. Because they can typically beat online retailers. And its just down the road, so I don't have to screw around with waiting a week for it to show up. I just don't need to drop $3000+ a year on a new boat. 2 - 3 a lifetime should do just fine. + the people in the shop are awesome. But if all you business does is sell boats, its going to be tough to keep people returning year after year, unless its just outfitters, and when an outfitter is dropping money on 30+ boats every 5 or so years, i can understand them shopping around for the best bang for the buck. But even those guys are running Maravia, Aire, NRS for the most part. all local northwest boat builders/sellers really. I've seen a handful of Saturn boats on the rivers. here in the Boise area, but that's just because some local guy sales them. but when you're at the take out @ beehive bend on the payette on Saturday afternoon, all you see is locally built boats for the most part. and lots of shiny new boats at that. and shiny new trailers built by sawtooth welding, and mirage, both local trailer builders too. I think the rafting community as a whole probably supports local businesses more than online. Hard to find the boats we run online.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #32
Denver, Colorado
I own a hundred dollar box for shit. I bought it at a brick and mortar store in Vernal, UT and paid local sales tax on it to boot. I feel I have done my part to save the industry, the economy, and the environment.

ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #33
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
It's never our responsibility to keep a business alive. Businesses come and go. Some start in garages and are now well known and thriving. Sometimes business climate changes, or the way we purchase changes. Some people can't run a business, or keep it current. I'm happy to have a used American boat, lucky me. I probably would have gotten an RMR had I not been given the chance to buy they one I got. My buddy just got a brand new RMR last week, and I want an RMR Storm as my next buy. I'm just as happy for him as I was to get my Sotar. My first river trips were in a Riken, and my Dad still has his 1996 Riken. Those are great boats, not made here. We drive a Toyota Sienna and a Subaru Legacy. They are great cars, with 232K and 178K. I'll keep driving my import cars and lament the loss of Riken rafts.
I may be a poverty boater, but I am debt free and my wife stays home with my kids. This way I don't pay someone else to raise my kids, but I can't buy gear from wherever you think I should buy gear. Oh, my buddie's poverty raft was purchased at our local raft shop, Andy & Bax, where my dad bought his Riken, and I bought my Aire Force XL ( on 9-11-2001 I might add, fuck you Bin Laden) and my Dad's best friend bought 2 rafts, and 2 kayaks, and we boat with some of the guys there. ( Riley is the man) I buy there whenever I can, in fact the guy who just bought the RMR is my friend because I met him at Andy & Bax over 8 years ago.
I think you are wrong to call anybody a poverty boater. I'll keep my poverty boater friends too.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #34
vancouver, Washington
Rafting is not for poor people. Kayaking is.
commanderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #35
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I'm sorry but these are 1st world problems. Consider yourself blessed that you can be on the river in the first place, that access isn't restricted by land owners bribing th government, and that the water you are floating is pure enough to not dissolve your raft in the first 100 yards. We are a very very very lucky comunity because we have the opportunity (and the $) to get out on our rivers.

John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #36
Somewhere in, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Fukin Bucketboater..... Swoops in once a month and stirs the $hit pot. I have met and boated with BB. He's a good dude and just speaks his mind. Y'all just need to take it for what it is.... A post on a forum.

I'll boat with Bucketboater any time!
Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #37
Paddling Since: 2002
i feel like i should start a go-fund-me page so that i can afford to buy a yeti from the local paddle shop... cause i am the epitome of poverty boater...
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #38
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I'd boat with any one of you ass holes. I can disagree with anybody and get along. We are connected on here by water. We all have a common love. I figure the more people I can get along with the better.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #39
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Bucketboater comes on and chides users on what they should buy....I'll bet you a new boat he or his wife shops at Walmart. Anyone wanna take me up on that one?
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #40
Calgary, Alberta
Don't you all love how every post on every activity specific forum degrades into asinine political discourse?

For fucks sake, what I wouldn't give for a forum on boating to ACTUALLY BE ABOUT BOATING!

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote