Old 04-05-2007   #1
C. Springs, Colorado
Positioning frame on a raft

When I rig my frame on my raft, I try and position my oar towers a few inches behind the center of the raft. I'm curious as to how others position their frames in relationship to the center of the raft tubes. Any thoughts??

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #2
Gnarnia, Colorado
My towers are centered on the tubes.

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #3
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
It depends on if you have passengers or not. If you are by yourself and you center your towers I suspect the boat would be a little back heavy. FWIW.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #4
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
On my raft, I center the frame on the raft and my towers are a little behind center on the frame. I'd have to measure, but I'd guess maybe 6 inches. The towers are mainly positioned by where I sit, which is dictated by how I have the bays are set up. I think the relationship of the towers and the seat are important for comfort and rowing efficiency. I always try and load gear to keep the nose a bit heavy to drive into the big sh!t.

On my new/used cat, I'm still playing with the set up and I'm not sure how that is going to end up, other than the seat / tower relationship.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #5
Blue River, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I slide the frame around on my cat depending on the trip. I try to keep things pretty balanced. If It's just me in the boat for the day I put my oar towers pretty close to center on the boat, and load all of my gear towards the front of the boat. The more gear/people I have the further I slide the frame back to keep balanced. Total range is probably from oars just forward of center to 6" back of center.

I load the raft accordingly too. If I have 2 or three people riding on the front of the boad I put the cooler, ammo cans, anything heavy I have as far back as possible. If it's just me in the boat I put the heavy stuff as far forward as possible.

Robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #6
ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
on the 16' raft, I use a 4 bay frame. My towers are towards the back of the second bay, from the stern. I sit on a large cooler, the second bay, (from the stern) is the captains bay (arrrgg), and then a drybox, and then 5 ammo cans.

the 12' cat is set up with towers about 6" forward of center, on a three bay frame, it has two seats, and with a passanger, I slide up a bit, but not much.
Expedition Gear Rental
oarbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #7
niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
centering works- but consider weight placement

The standard placement of the towers would be in the center or maybe just a bit back. But the main thing I always try to achieve with my tower placement in to make sure the oars wind up resting just under my knees- important when I need a beer. Other ways to mount the frame: I've run my 16 footer using a stern frame and paddlers, and also ran it from the stern (with my big frame- 4 compartments) through the Grand Canyon- but had my gear positioned so that the nose would be slightly heavy to make it track downstream naturally. I even ran the frame slightly toward the nose (when running light -solo) through the Dowd chutes at around 2500 and it tracked ok. And the last thing to consider. If you are fairly new to rowing and you have a tendency to pull away from everything- the center is your best shot. If you've already figured out how to push through most stuff, moving the frame a little further back won't mess you up. Otherwise spinning the boat out of trouble becomes difficult.............

wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote