Old 09-07-2016   #1
littleton, Colorado
Pickaroon campground info needed

Not really sure where this post should go since not related to rafting specifically, but figure some folks on here have probably stayed at Pickaroon/ Pikepole while floating the N Platte towards Saratoga.

Planning a long weekend camping/ fishing later this month and was planning on driving into Pickaroon. For various reasons I can't make this a float trip this time. As you probably know, it is a LONG drive into Pickaroon, so I need to make sure I'm prepared before I get there.

There's not much info on this campground on the net. What's the campground like? Is there shade? I know I need to bring my own water or purification equipment. What's the toilet situation? Any info or pictures would be much appreciated.

Anyone ever do the drive from the west side? It seems its a very rough road. I do have a lifted 4wd and pretty burly tires. Is it worth saving an hour of drive time or should I come in from the Laramie side? Again, any advice will be much appreciated!

Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #2
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where the Fuck is Pickaroon Wyoming?
I was there once, took us about 5 or 6 hours to shuttle from the put in, will never take out there again, god that's a long drive!!! Road is not bad, your 4wd will do just fine, you can make it in 2wd.
We were kinda worried we would end up in some meth heads basement for the rest of our lives, if we broke down out there.
I remember there being plenty of really nice shade trees, unfortunately not sure if there was a pit toilet, but I think there was. Definately in the middle of nowhere.
Hope this is somewhat helpful.

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Call the West Laramie Fly Shop. There will be someone there with all the beta on Pikepole Pickaroon.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #4
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Pickaroon is great, and it's not that far - at most an hour and a half off the pavement from Foxpark. The road is rough and narrow with switchbacks going down to the river. You'll want to take your time. When you get to the bottom of the hill at the river, the road will turn left, and you can follow the road up the river for about a mile and a half to the Douglas Creek confluence. Scattered camping is all along the river, but the best sites are right below the confluence - lots of grass and cottonwoods, tables, tent sites, parking, and a pit toilet.

You can also follow the road up Douglas Creek for another mile or so, with scattered campsites along the road, to the Douglas Creek trailhead into the Platte River Wilderness area. If there's still enough water in Douglas, it's great fishing - if not, fish right below the confluence.

Use tapers off significantly after Labor Day, but it still could be quite busy on a weekend - prime spots might fill up early on Fridays. You do not want to come in from the west side - you can make it with a 4wd, but it's mainly used as a launch for the commercial guides - camping there would not be good.
jamwin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #5
littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the info folks! Much appreciated. The fishing should be great and it sounds like the campground is less rustic than I thought. Too bad I'm not able to float in this time. Next summer I guess.

Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote