Old 03-30-2015   #1
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Pfd question kids

My son has been in a great stohlquist pfd the past two years but now he is just barely over the weight limit. It says 90 pounds and my kiddo is 93 and skinny as a stick. I am leaning on just keeping him in that as I think an an adult small is still gonna be too big what would you do? Jim Stolhquist are you are out there on this board? See you in Mexico soon! Let's do some sailing before we rAft!

skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015   #2
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
stohlquist also has some vests made in an adult XS, I had to do the same thing for my girls when they were 12-13 (they were at that awkward size too) the stoholquist flo and ebb specifically we were able to find in XS.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #3
Sheridan, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
My daughter turned 11 last year and I switched from the NRS youth vista pfd to the adult XS same model. I had to crank it down all of the way but we ended up with a nice snug fit. My daughter is on the right standing on shore in this pic to give you an idea of her size...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	last 105.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	9636  
Whitewater Repairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #4
Groveland, California
Astral Abba/Norge.

My daughter is tall, skinny, just passed 90 lbs. and loves her Astral Abba adult XS. It has the Kapok front panels that conform to her torso better than the foam blocks. Snugs down very securely, nice build quality. Norge would be the men/boys model.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #5
If you want to move him up for buoyancy but are worried about the fit, what I've done is fashion a simple crotch strap out of some webbing. Ounce of prevention and peace of mind and all that. It's pretty hard to get a truly secure fit on them when they are skinny like you said.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #6
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
My youngest son is in the same category - as of last year he was too heavy for the kid PFD (Astral Otter) and yet too small for adult PFDs. He kayaks more than he rafts and the Stohlquist PFDs seemed to be too big/puffy. I haven't seen an Astral XS - wasn't aware they made them in any model - and don't see them listed on their site? Their S/M barely bit my oldest (tall/skinny) last year.

Last year my youngest ended up using a Kokatat Aries PFD - it comes in a size XXS/YXL and fit him well. It wasn't the great fit he was used to with the Otter but it worked. This year he's going to move up into his brother's PFD - a Kokatat MsFit women's size small. The W-Small is a smaller size than Kokatat's regular adult Small, definitely smaller than Astral's S/M size.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #7
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I 2nd the adult xxs/youth xl. Ours says 75-125 lbs and fits my kids very well. It will not fit them for too long but is very secure.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Keep in mind that the leaner the kid the more the extra buoyancy is needed. Just make sure the vest doesn't ride up over there head. The crotch strap is a good idea.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote