Old 06-23-2016   #1
Heber, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
Permit Free Floats on the Colorado

I'm sure I am not the only one on this site that has had to slow down on the extreme water because of the in middle stages of raising children. They are old enough for the river but to young for the big stuff. We just did the 2 days leading up to the West Water portion as a family and we are craving more. I'm also sure you guys/gals will agree on the sheer beauty of the Colorado river drainage. Thanks a bunch

cbrereton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #2
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Other stretches are roadside and not as serene (although the massive amount of people sometimes make RH not that serene either). There are lots of options though. Lower Gunnison is comparable to RH and no permit. Less water though. I haven't done it but I bet because it is not permitted it can also get crowded. Back to the Colorado, all the stretches after Shoshone and before the diversion in Debeque can be floated. Not as nice as RH though

Moab Daily would probably be the next spot to take the kids. Lots of options for put in / take out depending on the length of trip you want.

You can go from Moab to Spanish Bottom and get taken out by a Jet Boat before hitting Cataract and that I is just a backcountry permit (which is probably free and not as restrictive). Best to use canoes though or have a motor on your raft.

This website is a GREAT resource for Western river floats.

cschmidt1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #3
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
In Kremmling, CO you can float pumphouse to state or twin bridges with relative ease and it is fairly scenic (not on the highway).
paddleskirepeat is offline   Reply With Quote