Old 03-10-2013   #21
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
{You have too much faith in your God.}

Make it easy on the rescuers.
Do a 'night run' with these during the day.

If those on board with you don't wear them it will enhance your hearing.
I have boated at night with no issues. Lights can become a hassle kinda like having your brights on in a snow storm.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #22
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
For various reasons I have ended up boating in the dark several times.

My observations: Even with the full, full moon it doesn't shine down into most of the rivers I have been on until the middle of the night.

If it is a day or two past full forget it. You won't have moonlight until very late/early depending on your viewpoint.

A maglight flashlight with fresh batts provided very little help in finding our way down a river I was fairly familiar with.

Rocks are invisible at night. Even with my eyes totally adjusted I could hardly see white rocks sticking out of the water 10 feet in front of the boat. .......
Most that boat in the dark had to because they were late and needed to make a campsite that was further than they thought.
If the moon is waxing about to be full that is best because there will be either no or the shortest wait for it to 'rise'. The depth of your canyon could make that all immaterial.

= = = = = = = =

"The first light we see we'll land a hundred yards below it or above it, in a place where it's a good hiding-place for you and the skiff, and then I'll go and fix up some kind of a yarn, and get somebody to go for that gang and get them out of their scrape, so they can be hung when their time comes." Huck Finn

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #23
Paddling Since: 2002
one time me and my boating buddies launched onto ruby/horsethief at 2 am under cloudy skies on an 18ft cat. having a big trigger style spot lamp was key
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013   #24
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Full moon is the way to go and your eyes adjust very well if you give them an hour or so. Even the moon can be too bright to look at once your eyes have "stopped down" to the low light. West water is a great full moon run. Skull is fantastic when the moon lights it and Little Dee is a great surf in the moonlight. The diamond carpet of the whitewater's reflection is dreamy.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ah the old winter night releases on Boulder Creek....brrrr that 'd kill your jonesing for a couple months until warmer weather....

ended up finishing a dusk Poudre run on the III -IV stuff just above the Nartows in the dark..kinda cool, the actual whitewater like wave caps and piles sort of glow lighter than the rest of the flow..your eyes adjust like other guys to pass by campgrounds and only see fires and hear comments like "what was that? some idiot in a kayak ""look there 's some nut out there "....

So Platte town run would be a fun. easy urban night float....if we ever have good flows around fourth of July again.....
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #26
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
R2'd Steven's down on the Poudre under a full moon a couple times...No amount of time will allow your eyes to adjust enough to see rocks....totally invisible (the little F 'er rocks..big ones are easy to see).

Got VERY dark on me a couple times paddling out of the Royal Gorge too.

I don't think any headlamp or other light source would help much at all in whitewater.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013   #27
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
My Friend puts on this Men's trip for the full moon in the fall after permits are over on the San Juan. About half the group usually puts on early Friday and sets camp at the RiverHouse. The rest of us float in after work under the full moon.
That was always one of my favorite parts of the trip. One year I floated in with ColoradoPaddler under a cloudy sky. We couldn't see anything and had to find the channel by sound of the water. Fortunately ColoadoPaddler was really good at it and I could just follow him.
Here's a link to the whole story.
Men Gone Wild

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote