Old 08-18-2015   #11
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
Space is not an issue.
Ahhh the luxuries of rafting...

A guy I used to work with commercially told the story of a plane that flew over Cataract, identified his floating party (they were friends), and after making a pass they threw a cooler of ice cream out for their friends. Some unplanned action occurred (some gear flew out the door) and the plane wobbled around just enough to catch the wing on the river where it crashed and sank after all the passengers were able to get out swim to safety.

So be careful when introducing ice cream into your trips, you never know what may happen.

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015   #12
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
ice cream?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #13
Layover day at Log Cabin, dutch oven cobbler, vanilla ice cream, good times. Itís been a few years, I donít remember exactly how I did it but it wasnít very difficult. As the others said, too much dry ice or too close to the ice cream and youíve got a block. If itís only day two Iíd put 5 lbs next to the ice cream for the first day and then some away from the ice cream just for the ice, on day two (or three with your travel day), it should be about perfect.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #14
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
I have carried ice cream and a pound or two of dry ice in a small styrofoam cooler inside my regular cooler. The ice cream was actually too hard on day 3 of the trip because the dry ice is so cold.
What's more, you can make the dry ice last longer by wrapping it in several layers of newspaper inside plastic bags to prevent air circulation around it. The bags need to have pin holes, or else the expanding CO2 will inflate and burst the bags. Buy some dry ice and experiment to see how long it'll last in your cooler. That'll tell you when you need to eat the ice cream.

The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote