Oregon Invasive species permit on hells canyon? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting

Old 10-11-2016   #1

White salmon, Washington
Paddling Since: 05
Oregon Invasive species permit on hells canyon?

Are boaters required to have both an Oregon and Idaho invasive species sticker if they are on hells canyon? I know you need each states fishing license depending on what side you camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Trejos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #2

I have never had an Oregon permit and float Hells a lot. Also have never been checked on Hells.

RiverVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I believe either an Oregon or Idaho invasive species sticker will work on the Snake River in Hells Canyon.

You need an Oregon or Idaho angling license to fish from the shore in that state. Either license will do if you are fishing from a boat.
Old 10-11-2016   #4

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
I believe either an Oregon or Idaho invasive species sticker will work on the Snake River in Hells Canyon.

You need an Oregon or Idaho angling license to fish from the shore in that state. Either license will do if you are fishing from a boat.

That is correct!!
Old 10-11-2016   #5

White salmon, Washington
Actually that is incorrect. I just got off the phone with Oregon Fish and Wildlife and Idaho Parks and Rec. both states invasive species permits are required.

Old 10-11-2016   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trejos View Post
Actually that is incorrect. I just got off the phone with Oregon Fish and Wildlife and Idaho Parks and Rec. both states invasive species permits are required.
Looks like some conflicting info.
From this website (http://www.river-management.org/asse...anyon_2015.pdf) the following information showed up:

Snake River (Hells Canyon)
Invasive Species Stickers:

(Inflatable, non-motorized vessels less than 10 feet long are exempt).
Either an
Idaho Invasive Species Fund sticker
(800) 247-6332
or an
Oregon Aquatic Invasive
Species Prevention Permits is accepted.
Hells Canyon National Recreation Area (HCNRA), Snake River Administrative Office
PO Box 699
2535 Riverside Dr.
Clarkston, WA 99403

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #7

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
Nope, you got bad information. I confirmed with the ODFW Aquatic Invasive Species Program Coordinator that you only need either an Idaho or Oregon invasive species permit to float Hells Canyon, not both.
Old 10-11-2016   #8

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:

Been floating hells canyon for the last 6 years with just an Idaho invasive species sticker.. no problems.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #9

White salmon, Washington
Yep, bad info from both the Salem and Idaho park and rec. offices. after contacting National park service they even started second guessing themselves.
Call Salem back and she was very adamant that she was correct but sent be to the Oregon marine board who was floored she had been telling people that. He said as soon as we hang up he was going to slap some hands. I then called Idaho, they were totally lost in the sauce. They finally relented quoting the Oregon marine boards website. One thing that was interesting, while Idaho was reading the regs over the phone I swore she said Washington residents were not required to have one. I guess it would make sense if they all recognized each others regs and requirements.

Old 10-11-2016   #10

Walterville, Oregon
Quote:
Yep, bad info from both the Salem and Idaho park and rec. offices.
A lot of the confusion on the agencies part stems from the difference between motorized and non-motorized boats. Motorized boats include the ISP in the registration fees. There are no registration fees for non motorized boats so they require purchasing a permit. Still the people on the phones should know their own regulations.

Invasive species permits work just like angling licenses. The only reciprocity is on border waters and only if you have a permit or licenses from one of the two bordering states. No way a Washington permit (motor boats pay a invasive species fee as part of their registration) is good for Hells Canyon, but it is in the Columbia River.