Mountain Buzz banner

Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty

50K views 153 replies 53 participants last post by  Riverman4utoday 
#1 ·
I’ve been a big fan of Sotar boats for 30 years now. My first boat, 14’, lasted 25 years with rough treatment. Sotar told me that I could spend more money on my old boat regluing it or just get a new one made of better materials. Got a new one, duh. I boasted about these rafts just like the folks on the Sotar web site. I’ve purchased 3 Sotar rafts. A 15.5 for my old age party boat and one for my son’s graduation from college. You can see my son’s boat on their web page at the ST section, orange and black. My buddy is ready to eat it hanging off the rope.
Purchased the 15.5 in fall of 2011. About 8 months ago I started noticing a discoloration on the top surfaces of my very yellow boat. Looked a little like scuff marks. In April I went to see if I could rub it off and an area broke open like a blister. You could see broken fibers hanging out, yikes. The discoloration was starting to spread like 3 day old poison oak over many of the top surfaces. I immediately contacted Sotar. They said there had been some cases of bad material out there and I would have to bring it to them to see if it could be repaired. They never notified me to be on the lookout for that. How about you? Did you folks hear anything about this? Their warranty runs out in 6 years. In late April it was at their facility. Late May they did the evaluation and forwarded the information to management. On 6-22, about 2 months after leaving my boat with them, they let me know how the warranty coverage would apply. They want me to pay approximately 60% of the replacement cost. Around $4200.00. It will take a month to be produced once I ok the deal . Also, the new boat will have the new 10 year warranty and be made of better materials. They agree that this problem is not my fault and is due to a material defect that was showing up in 2008 to 2011 boats. They also said it really wasn’t their fault. It was the suppliers.
This last week I checked with Maravia, NRS, and Aire who all said without hesitation had that problem shown up in any of their boats it would be replaced at no cost to the customer. One of those 3 said they have covered such situations like this even after the warranty has gone out.
I've requested it be repaired at no cost to me. It's still under their 6 year warranty. They don't want to do that. Tuesday I heard from Sotar that now they feel that they can repair it. Why wasn't this said 6-22? I spoke with my 28 year old son, who had talked to this same representative at Sotar a few weeks earlier, and he says that during the 50 minute conversation they had that the rep told him something to the effect of, " We can give you this offer, or we could do a half assed repair that will get you out of our hair until the warranty expires. I'm not advocating that we ever do the second one, but there are companies out there who might do such a thing".
I know I’m biased but, do you think it’s unreasonable of me to expect my boat to be replaced at no cost? The warranty says nothing about depreciating a boat that turns out to be a total loss.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, knowing what I know now, Sotar will never ever be considered for my future purchases, nor will I recommend them to anyone. I own two hyside rafts, the customer service is great, they have even replaced a boat without much fuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#6 ·
That's bullshit. That's like saying "sorry you got food poisoning from my restaurant it wasn't that we cooked it wrong it's just that the broccoli was bad and you should track down the farmer if you want your money back". They sold the product, they are responsible for it, period.

That's really too bad. They were top of my list for my first brand-new boat purchase someday in the future, I will definitely be looking elsewhere.

That's a paddlin'.

#7 ·
The vibe there has changed in the last year or two. Can't quite put my finger on it. I went into their shop a couple times this year and where they used to have a fully stocked pro shop, they now only have a few odds and ends. Kind of disappointing.

I asked someone behind the counter where everything was and he said "we sold alot". I didn't buy that and next time I came in, I asked the same question of someone else and the response was "What is it that you need that we don't have?" And frankly, both conversations gave me the vibe that I was bothering them and should just buy something or go.

Not sure why I'm even posting this as I haven't posted anything here in forever, but it struck a nerve as I remember when Cheryl used to work there and she was GREAT, always made me feel welcome.

I do love my Sotar IK, no question about that, but....

#9 ·
I own a Sotar raft. Based on the reputation and cost, if I had this issue, I'd raise hell. No way would I except that bs. I hope this thread shames then Into doing the right thing -- if what you're saying is the real deal.

Uh, Sotar? This is a big accusation? On one of the biggest rafting blogs?

#10 ·
This is definitely sad to hear, like many others, purchasing a Sotar is on my wish list. Hearing stories of shady customer service and bunk warranties will for sure make me think twice buying a boat from them. At least my other dream boat is a Hyside, which still gets positive reviews.

#13 ·
I would raise hell every day until they replace the boat! As in harass them everyday until it's done right!

Can't say enough how awesome aire customer service is. They fixed a friends cat 3 years out of warranty for free, and have been super to some other friends who have had a few problems. I love my Aire, Guess I'll be sticking with Aire forever, extra money for a sotar to deal with that bs ha!

#15 ·
Bummer. I buy a boat every few years and was gonna try out a legend in the near future. I Hope they read this thread and realize what crappy customer service does to a company in such a small community. Material problems happen it's how you handle them and your customers that makes the difference. My new cat will be a wave destroyer when the time comes.

#17 ·
I was wondering when james would show up... kind of figured he was the guy that took over for cheryl.... seems like his m.o. Take something great and run it into the ground :oops:

As a sotar owner, I'm not very excited about this thread. As far as them not replying, someone would need to bring it to their attention. They don't monitor the buzz 24/7. They have chimed in in the past when there have been issues and I bet they will here in due time.

#19 ·
I have a 2012 SOTAR ST 12 ft and was assured by them that my boat is not affected by this issue. Glad to know how the warranty on my boat will turn out should I submit a claim. My boat is on their website as the cover photo for their ST product page.

ST Rafts - SOTAR

Held up good so far, but so did my dad's up until about 8 months ago. As an engineer who works for an OEM, the way they handled this warranty is completely unacceptable. If your sub tier supplier, who you selected, provides you with garbage material, then it's your responsibility. End of story.

#22 ·
SOTAR Reply

Greetings to all Mountain Buzzers - from the new “business guy” at SOTAR. I’d like to take this opportunity to add a few salient points to this conversation. I have and will continue to address the warranty situation with Denray’s boat directly and privately.

SOTAR appreciates and respects that any time something unexpected happens to our prized possessions it can be an emotionally driven event.

SOTAR is prepared to, and has offered, to fully repair the raft in question under warranty.

We ALSO have offered Denray an alternative OPTION of trading in this boat towards a brand new boat with a significant turn in value and a substantial discount – largely because he is a long term 30 year customer.

A copy of the warranty and a copy of the SOTAR Owner’s Manual is provided with every raft. The SOTAR Recreational Use Limited Warranty was 6 years on boats built or sold up to 12/31/2013. We extended that warranty period to 10 years for the 2014 Model Year. I have e-mail the warranty that applies to Denray’s boat directly to him.

Like the majority of our worthy competitors, SOTAR’s Warranty Policy is to fix and repair first! In extreme or unusual circumstances, we may look at alternatives. Our warranty specifically outlines determination of a depreciated trade in value for a boat that is considered “beyond economical repair”. Beyond economical repair is not the same as beyond repair. Frankly-nothing is beyond repair. While I am NOT in a position to quote specifics, comment on, or provide an opinion regarding how OTHER manufacturers service their warranties or customers, I have been in contact with my counterparts. On every level SOTAR’s position is consistent with the industry norms.

As stated, while the depreciated trade in value for a raft is specifically outlined in the SOTAR Limited Use Warranty when a boat is deemed beyond economical repair -BUT- this IS NOT presently the situation. An offer to take a used boat in trade for a new one is a corporate option exclusively SOTAR’s. It is an option infrequently used to go above and beyond to service a loyal customer. Yes I said “corporate” – SOTAR is after all an American business. Our Service Manager, General Manager and SOTAR’s Owner have all been personally involved in discussing various options with the customer and his son. SOTAR's owner personally made the trade in offer to Denray and feels he was clear that is was an ALTERNATIVE. Full warranty service is, was, and will remain on the table. We have reiterated this directly.

SOTAR uses thousands of yards of LEXATRON - the highest quality 100% Thermo-Plastic Urethane material available. We are constantly reacting to changes in the textile industry. Changes in chemical controls, new technology, and numerous other circumstances can drive formulation, production, and specifications. Despite rigorous compliance with US Coast Guard and ISO standards and thorough quality assurance measures fabrics and coatings can still experience anomalies. All raft (or fabric based manufacturing for that matter) makers are aware of this fact. We remain vigilant but not alarmist. We cover the boat and all of its components under the warranty. Please do not confuse an explanation of a circumstance (which was given) with an excuse (which was not)!

We will persist in providing all our customers consistent service – Please feel free to contact us directly with your feedback. 1-800-GO-SOTAR (1-800-467-6827)

#23 ·
dammage to my Legend

Just got off of the middle fork. They have put in new beams on parts of the ramp. Thought they were slick enough but the cat got down between two and as we dragged it out it did this. sent photo to Sotar to get there thoughts on how to best protect the exposed threads. Two days and no response. Sure hope to hear something. Anyone have thoughts on how to protect the thread that is exposed??

Attachments

#24 ·
Just got off of the middle fork. They have put in new beams on parts of the ramp. Thought they were slick enough but the cat got down between two and as we dragged it out it did this. sent photo to Sotar to get there thoughts on how to best protect the exposed threads. Two days and no response. Sure hope to hear something. Anyone have thoughts on how to protect the thread that is exposed??
Please call us (SOTAR) at 1-800-GO-SOTAR (1-800-467-6827). The area can be re-covered with Urethane or a material or Flex-Tuff chaffe can be added. It depends on what you prefer. HRG

#31 ·
Wave destroyer and a no fault no bs 10 yr warranty for me.
End of the day that was my call too. I like how clean they repair too. Plus you can always buy a new bladder and carry it in your repair kit.

Not the lightest, sexist boats, but when shit does happen in the middle of no where, I hope its an aire boat that I'm working on if I have 30 more miles of hard water!

#28 ·
Actually

I was never told that it was repairable until 7-5 and that was by the new guy. Why even start out with me needing to pay up $4200? I discussed it with Hugh and said ok. Soon later I discussed it with my son and that's when he informed me about the discussion he had with Hugh, on 6-24, where Hugh said something to the effect " "We can give you this offer, or we could do a half assed repair that will get you out of our hair until the warranty expires. I'm not advocating that we ever do the second one, but there are companies out there who might do such a thing."
So that's when I sent Hugh an email saying, once again, replace at no cost to me or pay me back for this rotting boat?

#29 ·
Since Hugh hasn't responded to my email, and it's relevant to this discussion, I'll throw this out there for consideration:

Can you please explain how the repair process will work? Would it not be an accurate assumption that a boat of uniform color was manufactured from the same batch of material? How do you ensure that the rest of it won't rot without replacing the entire boat?

#32 ·
This is interesting, I quickly researched warranties for the big 5 - NRS and Sotar explicitly state that the warranty is to the original owner only. Aire, Hyside and Maravia do not state that (implying that the warranty is transferable). I know his is how Aire works as I know several people that have warrantied second hand boats (as do most users of this site). And of course Aire has their no-fault language as well - unquestionably the best warranty in the industry. Nothing on Sotar's website indicates anything about prorating. Nor is it mentioned on any of the others above.

I won't mind stating that I'm damn disappointed in this revelation. I'm out of town, but if I recall i didn't get a written warranty with my boat. I even recollect calling Cheryl about it and being promised to get one in the mail (I've seen enough warranties change over the years to want a written copy)... but If I don't have one at home, then I dropped that ball and never checked back in with her.

I'm super happy with my boat, no issues what so ever but I have been hearing more and more disparaging remarks about recent operations... with that kind of press circulating (and by no means is that just through the buzz), I don't see sotar's future as particularly bright.

Regardless of what the written warranty has been over the years, I'd always heard that they were still very good about warrantying their products, even at times where they may have been justified to not. This particular situation, however really scares me, from the information presented by both sides, it's clear to me that this should be a warranty REPLACEMENT due to faulty fabric. The basic argument that if part of the fabric is delaminating, why wouldn't the rest?...is dead on. That's exactly how I'd approach the discussion. Sotar is setting a dangerous precedent in an industry generally known for taking care of it's customers. Unless there has been some significant information with held by the OP, this seems like a clear case and Sotar is really dropping the ball...right onto their own foot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.