Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2016   #81

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
let me see, the boat is 5 years old, 30 uses, let me get my calculator out. oh, here it is, that is 6 times per year. oh, but wait, the boat is only 4.5 years old??? i stand corrected, it is still less than 7 times per YEAR!

my 14' cat saw 31 days on the water last year. sorry, but for 6.6666666 uses per year i wouldn't bother to own a boat. go rent one, then you can complain about how the rental company ripped you off.

interesting, just joined the buzz so you could pile on sotar. then within your first 10 posts you make insults about those that disagree with you. and your boat gets less than 6.6666666 uses per year.

sorry, but a boat that was "thoroughly dried" does not get mildew.

and just because your dad has owned boats for 35 years does NOT mean that he knows diddly squat.

you and your daddy come here asking for opinions, more like you were asking for people to agree with you. and hoping that the people that agreed with you would help shame sotar into giving you some special treatment above and beyond the warranty that came with the boat. i still say, you two will not be happy until sotar gives you a brand new boat.

i hope sotar does not give in to this kind of bull shit. they offered to repair it, they also offered to do a trade up (above and beyond their warranty). has the boat been repaired? or are you still waiting for your free boat.
Seriously dude....you need to shut the fuck up.

6 times a year is a completely normal usage. I've only put my boat on the river 5 times this year, but its got upwards of 30 days of actual use due to it being used primarily for multi-days. He didn't specify whether that was a day trip or a week long trip.

As others have said, if this happened to a boat I spent the kind of money that Sotar costs, I'd be making a scene too. I guess it could be an "eye of the beholder" kind of situation, but it seems to me that these guys have been trying to take the right path to resolution and Sotar dropped the ball. it took them 2 months to even give them an answer on how to proceed. That whole time Sotar had the boat in their possession to inspect it. Sotar even agreed that it was a materials issue and that it was not the fault of the owner. They first said that they could repair it and that they would give him a pro-rated choice until he started to push a bit hard and it magically became repairable.

You can gripe all day about them just trying to get a free boat, but if there is a defect in materials like this and very little explanation of how they are actually going to repair it, that sounds like the way to go. Whether it was the fault of the material manufacturer or Sotar, they made a product that failed during its warranty period and the way to proceed is to replace it if it unable to be repaired to sufficiently work for expected lifespan of the raft.

I agree that this whole thing has tarnished me towards ever considering a purchase from Sotar. It seems like there has been ample opportunity to salvage this for them, but they just don't seem that interested...or at least not until they brought it to public attention. Denray and his son have been nothing but cordial and cooperative, while still holding the line that they believe a full replacement is due. It seems to me that the majority of us on here agree with them.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #82

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I'm so depressed. The boating industry is devolving as manufacturers look to increase profits by decreasing quality of materials. I'm not talking about any ONE company either.

I'm honestly doing some brand searching and I've been looking at SOTAR and now this thread has left me with more questions than answers.

There are a few of you out there that are arguing in behalf of your personal preference and/or bias (and your embarrassing yourselves) so it may be hard to get good answers here but I'll throw them out there and see what happens.

1. I've been holding on to hope that the warranty is transferable. Has anyone definitively figured that out yet? For those of you that would insult me on this point here is my answer; Rafts are VERY difficult to test drive and very expensive. You may spend a lot of money just to find out that it isn't quite what your looking for and if you can't sell it then your stuck and unhappy and out a lot of money.

2. Is the boat in question repairable? Truly? Judging by the pics I've seen, you can repair some of the "blisters" but more will pop up because the material looks like it is INHERENTLY problematic as SOTAR seems to have claimed. If the entire boat is that same material it does not look like it can be repaired and I would not trust that boat with my and may families lives.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #83

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Sotar warranties are not transferable. This has been the case for quite some time, at least back to 2008 when we bought our first sotar. I never cared about that, I never had any doubt about what we wanted. I think that is the case for most sotar purchases, you don't buy one when you are unsure, largely because of the cost.
Old 07-12-2016   #84

Great Falls, Montana
Damn!
Old 07-12-2016   #85

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
bucketboater and spencerhenry - did you guys even read the posts? in terms of comments, both of you seemed to be the ones who came here to post with your preconceptions. and bucketboater, yes we are all superimpressed that you use a bucketboat not one of those sissy self bailers.
Thanks for the compliment, I'm impressed you managed to only semi evolve. Honestly though I haven't run a bucket in 15 years. I own two sotars s.b's and a cat. Ill try and get some pics of my boat. It's the same year, same color and same mildew. The boat is fine. Like I said before I have 60 days in 2016 alone. Boats been upside down a few times, dragged over hundreds of rocks and currently sitting on my trailer filled with sand and beer cans. If some of you got out more you could get some real life info. A bunch of dorks on the net should not be your source for raft info. Its amazing the flock of sheep in this thread. But but but some random internet dude said his sotar is falling apart. Good on sotar for telling him to kick rocks. He's not sotar material anyway.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #86

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
Seriously dude....you need to shut the fuck up.

6 times a year is a completely normal usage. I've only put my boat on the river 5 times this year, but its got upwards of 30 days of actual use due to it being used primarily for multi-days. He didn't specify whether that was a day trip or a week long trip.
I consider you all my river loving friends who look out for each other. So if I ever get to this point please call me out. I will quit rafting and start golfing. Sell my rafts and buy a hummer h2. Much love, praise jah.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #87

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Oh, and phucketboater's 'internet keyboard warrior -- Washington state is clearly the shit and no one else knows shit routine' is clearly laughable. I'm betting that if he was dealing with this issue, he'd be up in arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #88

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
In the picture of the boat there is a seam. The fabric above the seam is bad the fabric below the seam is good. I would imagine that it was cut from the same roll at the same time. I would like to see a larger picture of the boat. What say you!
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #89

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis catman View Post
In the picture of the boat there is a seam. The fabric above the seam is bad the fabric below the seam is good. I would imagine that it was cut from the same roll at the same time. I would like to see a larger picture of the boat. What say you!
Which brings me back to my second question. Can the raft be PROPERLY repaired?
Old 07-13-2016   #90

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
The strange part to me is how could one piece be so bad and the other piece be good. Like it got something on it. It makes me wonder. That is why I would like to see a bigger picture. I am not insinuating anything, I just want to see the whole thing before i pass judgment.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote