Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2016   #71

who owns the boat? pondomoto or denray?

moto has 5 posts on this forum, all in this thread. and just joined the forum in the last 12 days.
just joined to bash sotar?

spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016   #72

Woodland, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
i wondered right from the beginning of this thread whether or not the issue was improper care of the boat. i wondered if the "rot" was caused by someone so intent on keeping their boat "new" that they applied various cleaners and preservatives.

as this story progresses, little details come out one by one. i agree that this is a big issue about nothing, and that the OP is trying to get a new boat for free.
sotar offered to repair the boat, but it seems that many here seem to know more about boats than sotar, proclaiming that it cannot be done. how can someone here proclaim that it cannot be fixed without ever having seen the boat? if sotar repairs the boat, what exactly is the issue?
The boat has never seen harsh chemical cleaners or anything like that. SOTAR immediately acknowledged that they had a mildew problem with some of the fabric used to construct boats manufactured between 2008 and 2011. This boat was built in 2011.

You're right. They said they could repair the boat, but have avoided explaining what that procedure actually entails. The root of my issue with the repair is "how do you guarantee that the rest of the boat won't start rotting in the near future if it's all made from the same original material?"
pondomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #73

Woodland, California
Quote:
who owns the boat? pondomoto or denray?

moto has 5 posts on this forum, all in this thread. and just joined the forum in the last 12 days.
just joined to bash sotar?
Denray is my dad. He owns the boat. I have a 2012 ST. Try reading the thread in its entirety.

Edit: I joined this forum to add to this conversation because a) I dropped the boat off with Matt and b) I had a 50 minute conversation with Hugh discussing the "offer" that was presented.
Old 07-12-2016   #74

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
bucketboater and spencerhenry - did you guys even read the posts? in terms of comments, both of you seemed to be the ones who came here to post with your preconceptions. and bucketboater, yes we are all superimpressed that you use a bucketboat not one of those sissy self bailers. as the original poster said, he was totally happy with sotar until this boat, which they admitted had fabric problems and for which the initial offer was a costly replacement. so you can get on the guy's ass and tell him he is mistreating his boat or just being too picky as the fabric rots away because it was crap to begin with or you can realize that even big companies that you love love love make mistakes, get bad product, and then maybe don't step up to the plate until they're forced to by a little public shaming. i love my sotar even though it was not what i was told it was going to be and have found it to be super tough. no plans to replace it but if i did, i'd sure want to know how well sotar is addressing warranty issues.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #75

Banner Elk, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1992
American made is best. However, we must remember that Americans lost a lot of blood in Korea to help make it what it is today; a free democratic society that appreciates the sacrifices made. There is no comparison between South Korea and China.
Hyside is made in Korea.
Star Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016   #76

i have read all the posts in this thread.

my opinion is based on ALL of the posts.

I think that the title of this thread might have been more appropriately "Shame Sotar into giving me a free boat".

The title starts with "opinion needed". but when you get opinions that do not agree with your premise, you get upset.

mildew is caused by high humidity, like a boat was rolled up wet. if your boat has only 30 river days on it in 5 years, it strikes me that it was used once a year and was either stored improperly or rolled up wet. what the hell do you expect from a boat that is rolled up wet and left to sit for the other 359 days of the year?

let sotar fix the boat. then, PLEASE, buy a star or hyside or nrs, or aire, or some other brand. improperly take care of that boat and then cry to them when you have a problem. it sure seems to me that sotar has complied with their written warranty, and even gone above that. It also seems to me that short of Sotar giving you a new boat that you will continue to complain and try to ruin their business.
Old 07-12-2016   #77

Woodland, California
Quote:
i have read all the posts in this thread.

my opinion is based on ALL of the posts.

I think that the title of this thread might have been more appropriately "Shame Sotar into giving me a free boat".

The title starts with "opinion needed". but when you get opinions that do not agree with your premise, you get upset.

mildew is caused by high humidity, like a boat was rolled up wet. if your boat has only 30 river days on it in 5 years, it strikes me that it was used once a year and was either stored improperly or rolled up wet. what the hell do you expect from a boat that is rolled up wet and left to sit for the other 359 days of the year?

let sotar fix the boat. then, PLEASE, buy a star or hyside or nrs, or aire, or some other brand. improperly take care of that boat and then cry to them when you have a problem. it sure seems to me that sotar has complied with their written warranty, and even gone above that. It also seems to me that short of Sotar giving you a new boat that you will continue to complain and try to ruin their business.
Spencer,

Thanks for the feedback. The only people I've responded to are those who are making false accusations about the care or use of the boat, like yourself. Your math skills, along with your reading comprehension, are horrific. 30 uses in 4.5 years is a little north of 6 uses per year, after all of which the boat was thoroughly dried and put away. Having owned boats for the last 35 or so years, my father does know how to take care of them. That's why we were so shocked when this boat started to fall apart. It has received, at the very least, the same level of care and precaution as have the previous boats he's owned.

My 2012 has fewer uses per year and is holding up great a testament to the fact that they sorted out the material issues they were having with their sub-tier supplier(s).

Thanks for adding to the conversation.
Old 07-12-2016   #78

let me see, the boat is 5 years old, 30 uses, let me get my calculator out. oh, here it is, that is 6 times per year. oh, but wait, the boat is only 4.5 years old??? i stand corrected, it is still less than 7 times per YEAR!

my 14' cat saw 31 days on the water last year. sorry, but for 6.6666666 uses per year i wouldn't bother to own a boat. go rent one, then you can complain about how the rental company ripped you off.

interesting, just joined the buzz so you could pile on sotar. then within your first 10 posts you make insults about those that disagree with you. and your boat gets less than 6.6666666 uses per year.

sorry, but a boat that was "thoroughly dried" does not get mildew.

and just because your dad has owned boats for 35 years does NOT mean that he knows diddly squat.

you and your daddy come here asking for opinions, more like you were asking for people to agree with you. and hoping that the people that agreed with you would help shame sotar into giving you some special treatment above and beyond the warranty that came with the boat. i still say, you two will not be happy until sotar gives you a brand new boat.

i hope sotar does not give in to this kind of bull shit. they offered to repair it, they also offered to do a trade up (above and beyond their warranty). has the boat been repaired? or are you still waiting for your free boat.
Old 07-12-2016   #79

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
OK let's see more of the photos showing the damage all over the boat. So far we have one photo that looks gnarly, yes. the others do look like mildew and stains (it used to be stored outside/covered and now all our boats are in a garage). We have a 2008 yellow ST raft, and it stains easily, and has some mildew marks. Sotar even shipped it back to them to check it out after I complained. All is good with the boat though, well, except for an ibeam that blew on a low water MF, which they repaired (twice) under warranty. It is a bummer paying to ship a floor, but it is nice to have the boat in excellent condition again.

I agree, it is hard to tell what is really going on here. However Hugh's response doesn't make me warm and fuzzy about how he will deal with warranties in the future. With a plan to buy another set of Legend tubes this fall/winter for my husband (it will be our 4th brand new sotar boat along with a used IK), we are going to think long and hard about the purchase.
Old 07-12-2016   #80

Woodland, California
Quote:
let me see, the boat is 5 years old, 30 uses, let me get my calculator out. oh, here it is, that is 6 times per year. oh, but wait, the boat is only 4.5 years old??? i stand corrected, it is still less than 7 times per YEAR!

my 14' cat saw 31 days on the water last year. sorry, but for 6.6666666 uses per year i wouldn't bother to own a boat. go rent one, then you can complain about how the rental company ripped you off.

interesting, just joined the buzz so you could pile on sotar. then within your first 10 posts you make insults about those that disagree with you. and your boat gets less than 6.6666666 uses per year.

sorry, but a boat that was "thoroughly dried" does not get mildew.

and just because your dad has owned boats for 35 years does NOT mean that he knows diddly squat.

you and your daddy come here asking for opinions, more like you were asking for people to agree with you. and hoping that the people that agreed with you would help shame sotar into giving you some special treatment above and beyond the warranty that came with the boat. i still say, you two will not be happy until sotar gives you a brand new boat.

i hope sotar does not give in to this kind of bull shit. they offered to repair it, they also offered to do a trade up (above and beyond their warranty). has the boat been repaired? or are you still waiting for your free boat.
Spencer,

Again, you're wrong in thinking that I wouldn't consider any other opinion than my own. Your accusations that the boat has been poorly taken care of are completely unjustified. If someone had stated that they've seen this before and there's a completely acceptable repair technique that could ensure significant useful remaining life, then I'd be happy to hear it. As an engineer myself, I wanted to understand how this could be repaired.

We just received an update from Hugh via email with specifics on the repair technique. It sounds like they've spent a fair bit of time creating a repair plan. Hugh has done a good job of explaining this. I'll let him give the official memo should he be so inclined.