Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2016   #61

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Looks just like this

Apparently you didn't read the first post. My first Sotar lasted 25 years with the same treatment I give this boat. It's always dried off or as soon as I get it home if its raining at take out. So your boat looks like this eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160418_153130.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	11942  

Denray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2016   #62

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickpony View Post
Just to comment on "industry standards"... I had a Hyside catastrophically blow two baffles within the warranty period. Sent it in and Hyside said it was a potential glue/materials issue and sent me a brand new boat within a month (this was last year). New boat has been flawless, like the other two Hysides I've owned/own. So I call bullshit on industry protocol, SOTAR. I guide on SOTARs 7 days a week but I still buy Hysides. SOTARs drive great and are fun on the water but I've seen way to many pinholes/random BS issues from normal commercial use to completely get behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Hyside builds boats in China by 12 year olds in sweat shops. Replacing your boat is not the same as a handmade sotar built by adults in Oregon. A comercial raft guided 7 days a week should have some pinholes. There's no such thing as "normal commercial use". It beats the shit out of boats. like you said "sotars drive great and are fun on the water" says no hyside owner ever. Slowest wet noodle raft I've ever run.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #63

seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denray View Post
Apparently you didn't read the first post. My first Sotar lasted 25 years with the same treatment I give this boat. It's always dried off or as soon as I get it home if its raining at take out. So your boat looks like this eh?
Yes it does. A raft is literally a giant patch job. If they will repair it at no charge have it done. I think you're getting worked up over nothing.
Old 07-11-2016   #64

Woodland, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Bucketboater, how do you propose they fix it?
pondomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #65

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
They said that this batch of material was bad and the problem was not my fault. Said it needed to be replaced, at first, and I only had to come up with 60% of the replacement cost. They said some boats 08 to 11 were effected. Sounds like yours was too. My first Sotar didn't have one patch on it. Leaked no air. Just the glue giving up. Floor hung out like a dogs tongue. Zero skin cancer. Wait another few months and you'll be out of warranty too.
Sounds like they are going to fix mine anyway.
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #66

seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondomoto View Post
Bucketboater, how do you propose they fix it?
I'd go with a 3" circular black patch for character and free bottle of liquid lex. My boat is in similar shape with ten times the amount of days as the op. I think hes being dramatic. That boat will give him another ten years.
Old 07-11-2016   #67
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Hyside builds boats in China by 12 year olds in sweat shops. Replacing your boat is not the same as a handmade sotar built by adults in Oregon. A comercial raft guided 7 days a week should have some pinholes. There's no such thing as "normal commercial use". It beats the shit out of boats. like you said "sotars drive great and are fun on the water" says no hyside owner ever. Slowest wet noodle raft I've ever run.
Hysides are made in Taiwan

Rikens were made in Japan

I think you are trolling
Old 07-12-2016   #68

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Actually hyside are made in Korea...no intel on the working conditions or ages.

Durable boats for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 07-12-2016   #69

seattle, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
Actually hyside are made in Korea...no intel on the working conditions or ages.

Durable boats for sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Everbody knows Korean kids build the finest whitewater rafts.. I'd rather run a raft that sinks in six months than run one of those slave labor boats.
Old 07-12-2016   #70

i wondered right from the beginning of this thread whether or not the issue was improper care of the boat. i wondered if the "rot" was caused by someone so intent on keeping their boat "new" that they applied various cleaners and preservatives.

as this story progresses, little details come out one by one. i agree that this is a big issue about nothing, and that the OP is trying to get a new boat for free.
sotar offered to repair the boat, but it seems that many here seem to know more about boats than sotar, proclaiming that it cannot be done. how can someone here proclaim that it cannot be fixed without ever having seen the boat? if sotar repairs the boat, what exactly is the issue?
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote