Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2016   #41

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Most of my gear fits into two categories. The first being premium brands, usually when buying premium brands it is due to an awesome company and warranty. Yakima racks comes to mind with life time warranty and they stock virtually every piece to their products. Of course Aire which is famous for custom service.

The other category I mentioned is lesser brands. Unfortunately economics dictate that I make some compromises. I might not expect to have a lot of support with these purchases but generally I saved a bunch of money and I'll MacGyver a fix when necessary. Rocky Mountain Rafts comes to mind, with my paddle cat. My decision was between that and really nothing else. Budget wasn't there for a premium brand paddle cat. So these companies offer a big benefit to the consumer.

Sotar if there's more to the story please elaborate as many of us are willing to step up for premium products, but ONLY if the product and support justifies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016   #42

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
SOTAR admitted that the material used in the production of said boat is defective. The guy paid 6k for a defective boat and now has issues with the boat.

SOTAR needs to step up and replace the guy's boat at no charge. There's a good chance that the issue with the material is not just in the one or two areas on the boat, so a repair in those isolated areas will only fix the issue temporarily. Defective material in a boat is generally systemic and an isolated repair will not fix the problem in the long run.

I've bought two SOTAR boats over the past few years. Performance AND durability were my deciding factors in throwing down my hard earned cash for these boats. So far, no issues and I hope these high performance boats hold up for me for years to come.

There are a lot of high end gear makers out there. They're in business to provide folks with no-compromise equipment and they stand behind their products. Because of this, people talk of their excellent products and excellent customer service in the event of a manufacture defect.

It's unfortunate to hear that SOTAR's customer service is not what it should be. When I bought my raft via Cheryl I really felt like I was being taken care of and felt confident in my purchase.

Performance products are one thing, but if a company isn't standing behind what they make- or the mistakes they pass along to their consumers people will look to other companies to spend their hard-earned cash.
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #43

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Customer service

I have to echo Carve dog's Maravia experience with their great customer service. I bought a used early 2000s Williawa 2 a couple year back to learn. Great boat to learn on as I was hitting just about every rock on the river my first season.

Last year I was soloing Hells Canyon when the lacing tore out. I made a nice temporary repair with webbing, finished a fun trip, then headed into the Maravia shop in Boise.

Not only did Maravia quickly help me out with exactly the amount of webbing I would need, but their shop guru (tom?) invited me to help him thread a new floor so I would know exactly how to do it in the future. That type of customer service is rarely seen nowadays.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016   #44

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Very sorry to read this thread as an owner of two Sotar cats. Hope to see a change in attitude in Merlin.

I haven't had any issues with my cats and have greatly enjoyed them. But as I've told my kids a hundred times, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #45

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
But as I've told my kids a hundred times, it takes a lifetime to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.

Agreed, word of mouth in the boating community can be a big deal. All it takes is a few rotten stories about a company to deter a group from buying a product. If Sotar is using defective materials to construct there boat, and can not stand by their product, this is a huge red flag for anyone looking to purchase a raft. How many other untold stories about Sotar's lack of costumer service are out there?
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #46

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I'm thinking of buying another hyside. Imported and a still expensive, but bomber boats. I love my old 18er but it needs to be put to rest .
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #47

utah county, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
After a VERY good experience with Jack's Plastic Welding I would highly reccomend them. I'm all my dealings, I have been very impressed with Their honesty and have felt Jack always put my interests above their own. one of the best experiences I have ever had with a buisiness. and you can design your own boat!

royal
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #48

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by daairguy View Post
Agreed, word of mouth in the boating community can be a big deal. All it takes is a few rotten stories about a company to deter a group from buying a product. If Sotar is using defective materials to construct there boat, and can not stand by their product, this is a huge red flag for anyone looking to purchase a raft. How many other untold stories about Sotar's lack of costumer service are out there?
Sotar could have a one month warranty and still have a six month back order. You don't buy a sotar for the warranty or an aire for its performance or looks. Every manufacturer has its pluses and minuses. Fwiw I have 2011 yellow st in similar condition. I think it's ridiculous to expect a six year old raft to be free from wear and tear.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #49

Woodland, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Sotar could have a one month warranty and still have a six month back order. You don't buy a sotar for the warranty or an aire for its performance or looks. Every manufacturer has its pluses and minuses. Fwiw I have 2011 yellow st in similar condition. I think it's ridiculous to expect a six year old raft to be free from wear and tear.
This isn't "wear and tear" — the fabric is literally falling apart all over the place.
pondomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #50

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Low use

With the droughts and I run class 2 and occasionally 3's the boat has hardly any use wear. Maybe 30 days on it, private use. Lift, don't drag it on shore. All that stuff. If I had it for sale, why, prior to this it would be worth 3500 vs 7k new. Now with repaired rot dam age it will have terrible resale. The rot is like poison oak, starting to show all over.
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote