Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-08-2016   #21

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I did shoot Hugh an email at Sotar just to give him a heads up. I'm sure something will get worked out. Shawkandawe I don't think you have been any assistance here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I shot Matt one at Sotar also hoping he would step up to the plate.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016   #22

Merlin, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
SOTAR Reply

Greetings to all Mountain Buzzers - from the new “business guy” at SOTAR. I’d like to take this opportunity to add a few salient points to this conversation. I have and will continue to address the warranty situation with Denray’s boat directly and privately.

SOTAR appreciates and respects that any time something unexpected happens to our prized possessions it can be an emotionally driven event.

SOTAR is prepared to, and has offered, to fully repair the raft in question under warranty.

We ALSO have offered Denray an alternative OPTION of trading in this boat towards a brand new boat with a significant turn in value and a substantial discount – largely because he is a long term 30 year customer.

A copy of the warranty and a copy of the SOTAR Owner’s Manual is provided with every raft. The SOTAR Recreational Use Limited Warranty was 6 years on boats built or sold up to 12/31/2013. We extended that warranty period to 10 years for the 2014 Model Year. I have e-mail the warranty that applies to Denray’s boat directly to him.

Like the majority of our worthy competitors, SOTAR’s Warranty Policy is to fix and repair first! In extreme or unusual circumstances, we may look at alternatives. Our warranty specifically outlines determination of a depreciated trade in value for a boat that is considered “beyond economical repair”. Beyond economical repair is not the same as beyond repair. Frankly-nothing is beyond repair. While I am NOT in a position to quote specifics, comment on, or provide an opinion regarding how OTHER manufacturers service their warranties or customers, I have been in contact with my counterparts. On every level SOTAR’s position is consistent with the industry norms.

As stated, while the depreciated trade in value for a raft is specifically outlined in the SOTAR Limited Use Warranty when a boat is deemed beyond economical repair -BUT- this IS NOT presently the situation. An offer to take a used boat in trade for a new one is a corporate option exclusively SOTAR’s. It is an option infrequently used to go above and beyond to service a loyal customer. Yes I said “corporate” – SOTAR is after all an American business. Our Service Manager, General Manager and SOTAR’s Owner have all been personally involved in discussing various options with the customer and his son. SOTAR's owner personally made the trade in offer to Denray and feels he was clear that is was an ALTERNATIVE. Full warranty service is, was, and will remain on the table. We have reiterated this directly.

SOTAR uses thousands of yards of LEXATRON - the highest quality 100% Thermo-Plastic Urethane material available. We are constantly reacting to changes in the textile industry. Changes in chemical controls, new technology, and numerous other circumstances can drive formulation, production, and specifications. Despite rigorous compliance with US Coast Guard and ISO standards and thorough quality assurance measures fabrics and coatings can still experience anomalies. All raft (or fabric based manufacturing for that matter) makers are aware of this fact. We remain vigilant but not alarmist. We cover the boat and all of its components under the warranty. Please do not confuse an explanation of a circumstance (which was given) with an excuse (which was not)!

We will persist in providing all our customers consistent service – Please feel free to contact us directly with your feedback. 1-800-GO-SOTAR (1-800-467-6827)
HRGriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #23

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
dammage to my Legend

Just got off of the middle fork. They have put in new beams on parts of the ramp. Thought they were slick enough but the cat got down between two and as we dragged it out it did this. sent photo to Sotar to get there thoughts on how to best protect the exposed threads. Two days and no response. Sure hope to hear something. Anyone have thoughts on how to protect the thread that is exposed??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat close.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	11930   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat away.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	978.4 KB
ID:	11931  

salmonjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2016   #24

Merlin, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonjammer View Post
Just got off of the middle fork. They have put in new beams on parts of the ramp. Thought they were slick enough but the cat got down between two and as we dragged it out it did this. sent photo to Sotar to get there thoughts on how to best protect the exposed threads. Two days and no response. Sure hope to hear something. Anyone have thoughts on how to protect the thread that is exposed??
Please call us (SOTAR) at 1-800-GO-SOTAR (1-800-467-6827). The area can be re-covered with Urethane or a material or Flex-Tuff chaffe can be added. It depends on what you prefer. HRG
HRGriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016   #25
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonjammer View Post
And for anyone else taking cats down the Boundary Creek ramp...turn your boats to a 30 to 45 degree angle.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #26

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Glad sotar explained their warranty. It solidified my choice. Wave destroyer and a no fault no bs 10 yr warranty for me.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #27

Eugene, Oregon
Seriously. They seem really people friendly now.

That's a paddlin'.
Old 07-09-2016   #28

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Actually

I was never told that it was repairable until 7-5 and that was by the new guy. Why even start out with me needing to pay up $4200? I discussed it with Hugh and said ok. Soon later I discussed it with my son and that's when he informed me about the discussion he had with Hugh, on 6-24, where Hugh said something to the effect " "We can give you this offer, or we could do a half assed repair that will get you out of our hair until the warranty expires. I'm not advocating that we ever do the second one, but there are companies out there who might do such a thing."
So that's when I sent Hugh an email saying, once again, replace at no cost to me or pay me back for this rotting boat?
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #29

Woodland, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Since Hugh hasn't responded to my email, and it's relevant to this discussion, I'll throw this out there for consideration:

Can you please explain how the repair process will work? Would it not be an accurate assumption that a boat of uniform color was manufactured from the same batch of material? How do you ensure that the rest of it won't rot without replacing the entire boat?
pondomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016   #30

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
The menu says there are 4 pages but I can't go to page 4. Is it a consipiricy?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote