Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 14 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-18-2016   #131
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Schutzie doesn't have a dog in this fight, but wanted to offer an opinion about the "replacement" offer.
The boat was 4 years old when the issue surfaced. The manufacturer offered to replace the defective boat with a new one, less depreciation.
I mean, defective or not, the owner got 4 years of use out of the boat, doesn't that count for something?
Harsh to have to pay 70% (or whatever) of the price of a new boat to replace a defective one, but then again; you got 4 good years out of the boat. You get a new boat. Consider it $1,000 a year "rental" or "lease" or whatever makes your crank ....... crank.
And for the manufacturer; if indeed it was bad material, replace, replace, replace. Your reputation is at stake.
Schutzie, he doesn't much care how this ends up, but loves the dialogue.

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016   #132

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Iv'e been watching this topic closely because I want a Sotar real bad. Now I wan't to wan't one real bad and its going downhill from there.

I think many of the folks that reason in favor of Sotar on this one must have a lot more money than I do. I would save that kind of money and lay it down on a top of the line boat because I expect to get 10 years out of it and 20 years with proper care and maintenance. (So do every one of you) And, that is not unreasonable considering the quality of boats today (especially Sotar minus a defective material). 4 years from a brand new boat is nothing. Then Sotar tried to offer a replacement at their cost so that they wouldn't lose a penny. That would have been $10,500 for a boat that he should have received in the first place for 6.5k. BUT now it looks like he only has a year of warranty left. Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again. I'm really hoping this is beneath them.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #133

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Gotta love the rafters who buy boats like mattresses and minivans. But but but but honey it's a got a ten year warranty and the salesman is so nice. I don't buy a raft for the warranty or customer service. I want performance and no other raft comes close. I have the same exact boat as Opie. A yellow 2010 with 250 days. At 5k, that's 20 bucks a day and still going strong. Worth every penny.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Gotta love the rafters who buy boats like mattresses and minivans. But but but but honey it's a got a ten year warranty and the salesman is so nice. I don't buy a raft for the warranty or customer service. I want performance and no other raft comes close. I have the same exact boat as Opie. A yellow 2010 with 250 days. At 5k, that's 20 bucks a day and still going strong. Worth every penny.

exactly!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #135

cedar city, Utah
It's not an either/or situation. Instead it's about a company sticking to its word and good faith promises. Why not enjoy performance and a promised 10 year warranty?
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #136

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
[QUOTE=bucketboater;443054] I want performance and no other raft comes close. /QUOTE]

I would disagree with that statement. I owned a 14' Sotar ST for years. when it came time to replace it, I went with an Aire 143E, because I wanted the durability and the shape designed specifically for paddle boating technical runs. I can tell you that the Aire is more comfortable and secure to guide from the back due to the thwart design. The Aire also punches large holes and recirculating features better than my Sotar did. The Sotar could haul more, but was defiantly a lower performance boat when compared to the 143E. This is from someone who has years of experience owning both brands.

If you think that Sotar boats are higher performance, ask Dan McCain. He is in my opinion one of the few people pushing the limits of rafting. He was sponsored by Sotar originally, but the boats could not hold up to the level of fun he was putting them thru. He is now sponsored by Aire.

If you take into account the price, the customer service, performance, ease of repair and warranty the Aire was a no brainer for me.

There are reasons that the vast majority of commercial outfitters do not run Sotar rafts. Durability, price, and customer service are all contributing factors.

But you can get a Sotar with whatever clown themed color combo you want, and it will be lighter... You also get to talk about how you own a Sotar and in my experience that seems to be worth something to some people. It comes down priorities I guess.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016   #137

Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
Amen brother!

Been saying that for years...don't think AIREs are high performance? Go watch McCain/Compton
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #138

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1978
Defect is coming back

Took my raft out on 12-21 which was around the 5th time out since it was repaired. I stayed at the put-in while shuttle was being run. I noticed some strange marks on my boat tubes, the ones not replaced, and tried to rub them out. Some did not. Took some photos. You can actually see cracks opening up in line with the marks. I could feel them with my finger nail. Nice!
Oh look. Another D-ring is starting to pull loose. One of the new thwart ones they installed on the new material. I previously saw two pulling loose on my second time using the raft, discussed it with Sotar, and fixed it at home.
This is what my son, myself, and many others have though could happen since the rest of the raft was made out of the same defective material.
It's vacation time. I sent Sotar an email regarding. Maybe I'll hear back 1st week in January.

Hope your holiday's are working out as good as can be expected!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	13290   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	13298  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	13306  
Denray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #139

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Looks like the material has mold in it??? Or is that just dirt?? In any case, the material is not looking too healthy from the pictures. Hope you hear back from them soon with solutions!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #140

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
From the photo, the material appears to have cracks that have provided a home for either mold or dirt. Whatever is in there, the material appears to be compromised, and at a location that gets some stress on it adjacent to that D-Ring.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote