Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty - Page 13 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2016   #121

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I read what the OP said and what Sotar said and WHAT actually happened. It's exactly like taking your truck into the dealer for warranty work in my opinion.
So they replaced the floor AND made everything right?
And who knows more about what can and can't be repaired properly, the people who do it for a living or some guy on the interweb who wants a new boat?
I'll go with the people who repair and build boats everyday. In my opinion the OP's expectations were not realistic and at the end of the day Sotar did what they were going to do anyway, they fixed the problem.

"Got my boat back a few days ago, Wednesday, took it out yesterday. Sotar did a really good job on the repairs. I had forgot that my floor had a very slow leak. Just seemed like part of life. They replaced the floor without me mentioning it. The rest of the repairs look top notch. That top right photo is before topping off air pressure."

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016   #122

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Do you know anybody that was affected by the Toyota truck rust issues a few years back? This was not handled like that~ and a lot of Sotar owners noticed. A really DUMB business decision for the long haul. Profoundly dumb in a cottage industry where word of mouth and good will mean a lot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #123

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Ok so Sotar originally offered to fix the problem and as ACTUAL experts on boat repair they knew it could be done appropriately for this particular problem.
The OP wanted a new boat instead but once the repairs were done under warranty he said "Sotar did a good job with the repairs" and even replaced a floor at no charge.
And you're still whining and sniveling about about customer service, are you fucking kidding me?
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #124

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I agree with everything wavester posted except this: if the op had a failure because of defective materials, who's to say that the rest of the boat materials could fail at some point too. Add to that, they are only warranting the repaired areas for one year. That said, who's to say that the area that failed was from the same roll of fabric as the rest of the boat? The converse argument could be used to support the op's concerns.

I roll with a Sotar in a 14' raft with the surplus tan material, 2008? Anyway, great boat, no problems.

Disclosure: wavester is my brother so I can get away with an occasional debate -- occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #125

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
They built a boat out of admittedly defective materials- there is no way to know the state of the remaining material. He is owed a boat NOT made of defective material, because that is what he thought he was paying for in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #126

Woodland, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Wavester, wildh2onriver, Osseous,

I think a majority of this can be summed up by a lack of communication. I dropped the boat off in April and it took over two months to receive any feedback from SOTAR. When we did, it was a quote for something like $4200 to get a replacement boat. Since their initial solution was to replace the boat, it came off as if the boat wasn't repairable. It wasn't until after we dug our feet in on the pricing and after the 'quick fix' comment that we were offered the option to have the boat repaired.

Had they came right out of the gate in a number of days, or even weeks, rather than months, and told us that they'd seen this before and have developed a repair procedure that has yielded good results, this whole thing would have gone differently. We have the boat back now and will let you guys know how it holds up.

If you're reading this SOTAR, a quick explanation of what was done to prevent the fabric deterioration in the future would help clear things up.
pondomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #127

parowan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
I've owned a Sotar for 15 years now...It's a cat...I've always thought there customer service was lousy. The boat has been great...at the time I bought the Sotar I could have bought a Wing for $1000 more..same material supposedly...I met Bill Wing at a show and his enthusiasm was over the top...to this day I wish I had got the Wing...and again, the Sotar has been bomber...that's how bad I felt Sotars customer service was... your boat should be replaced free of charge, and they should have told you two minutes after looking at it. I'm getting another boat in the near future ...had been considering a 15' Sotar SL... this has stirred up some memories...it's a hyside or nrs.... can't go wrong with either... thanks for holding Sotar accountable....
johnnyvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #128

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
The customer service is spotty. Most are lazy. They sit in front of computer until you are ready to check out. Never come up and ask if there's something they can help.me find. Weird.

One guy is cool and seems like he likes his job. The rest that I've met seem suicidal.

Think I'm an aire head now. Non transferable warranty makes it a no brainer.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #129

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Opinion Needed-Sotar Warranty

Yep, that's been my experience for the last 2 or so visits over the last few years. While I'm very happy with my boat, their customer service has really been poor. Granted, I don't get up there much, but I have been in the DRE store 3 times this year after having moved back to Colorado. They actually asked me how they could help me each time. Motivated Retail vs reputation only.

I will never buy one of their straps again--the worst cam buckles I've ever used. Very difficult to open them enough to slide the strap in. God help you if your fingers are sore on a long trip.

While I love the boat I have, there is a gap between customer service, and profits. Their business model is doomed in my opinion, unless they change their PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016   #130

Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvelvet View Post
I've owned a Sotar for 15 years now...It's a cat...I've always thought there customer service was lousy. The boat has been great...at the time I bought the Sotar I could have bought a Wing for $1000 more..same material supposedly...I met Bill Wing at a show and his enthusiasm was over the top...to this day I wish I had got the Wing...and again, the Sotar has been bomber...that's how bad I felt Sotars customer service was... your boat should be replaced free of charge, and they should have told you two minutes after looking at it. I'm getting another boat in the near future ...had been considering a 15' Sotar SL... this has stirred up some memories...it's a hyside or nrs.... can't go wrong with either... thanks for holding Sotar accountable....
Same Urethane material, but I believe the Sotars are 40 oz versus 60 oz on the Wings. Bill could probably straighten everyone out on that, but doubt he is on Mountainbuzz. Also not sure if the material came from the same place or not.